Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

dont know what to do¡¡¡¡¡ help please .... my dreads are in danger

Hazzim
@hazzim
6 years ago
18 posts
ok ..... so here`s the thing ....i graduated from highschool in august 2010 and i want to get into med-school on january 2011.... i am already into the pre-exam course and my exam will be in november.....i went to register myself and everything as it goes ...... the thing is that when i was in there some teacher saw me and told me that if i get to pass the exam i would have to cut my dreads off...... he told me that doctors should be clean and tidy ..... and that there are no exceptions to the rule ..I really don`t know what to do. i love my dreadlocks and i`d definitely love and enjoy to become an excellent doctor ..... i was thinking.. maybe i could write a letter to the college or maybe i could look for another college that has no problem with dreads..... i don`t want to choose between dreads and college... so any advice will be appreciatedmaybe you know some college i can go to without having to cut them off ...... it doesn`t matter if its in another country.... help please and thanx for your time .....
updated by @hazzim: 01/13/15 08:46:53PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
27,412 posts
tell them that descrimination is illegal and that rule is against the law and it is your business not theyres to decide what a doctor should look likeand ask for the no dreadlocks rule in writting and inform them that no rule can contradict your costitutional rights


--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
27,412 posts
also i wrote a letter to be edited in featured threads its caklled something like well wait ill find it..http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/discrimination-against


--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
6 years ago
145 posts
You can have dreads and be a med student in the US. One example is IU Medical school in Indianapolis Indiana. The only requirement is that you have to put them back, so they dont interfere with your work. Same requirement for any long hair. I know 2 med students at IUPUI (a branch of IU medical in Indianapolis) that had dreads and one who already is in his residency and also has dreads. IU in bloomington (where IU original campus is) is very open minded like that also, one of their most popular graduates is an ER dr and he has dreads to his mid back, had dreads for like 16 years. So that's one school for sure.
Hazzim
@hazzim
6 years ago
18 posts
thanx a lot man i don`t know what`s the difference between constitutional rights here in mexico and the US but i shall give it a try my mom just said.... welll kut em off...thanx again and see you around

soaringeagle said:
also i wrote a letter to be edited in featured threads its caklled something like well wait ill find it..
http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/discrimination-against
Hazzim
@hazzim
6 years ago
18 posts
thanx for the hint i will check out the college`s web site ..... thanks to you a lot.....see you around

tatyananashi said:
You can have dreads and be a med student in the US. One example is IU Medical school in Indianapolis Indiana. The only requirement is that you have to put them back, so they dont interfere with your work. Same requirement for any long hair. I know 2 med students at IUPUI (a branch of IU medical in Indianapolis) that had dreads and one who already is in his residency and also has dreads. IU in bloomington (where IU original campus is) is very open minded like that also, one of their most popular graduates is an ER dr and he has dreads to his mid back, had dreads for like 16 years. So that's one school for sure.
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
6 years ago
145 posts
No problem. :) I'm sure most colleges here will allow you to have dreads, but bloomington is a very great place to go to for open minded environment. If I ever went back to indiana that would be where. :)

Hazzim said:
thanx for the hint i will check out the college`s web site ..... thanks to you a lot.....
see you around




tatyananashi said:
You can have dreads and be a med student in the US. One example is IU Medical school in Indianapolis Indiana. The only requirement is that you have to put them back, so they dont interfere with your work. Same requirement for any long hair. I know 2 med students at IUPUI (a branch of IU medical in Indianapolis) that had dreads and one who already is in his residency and also has dreads. IU in bloomington (where IU original campus is) is very open minded like that also, one of their most popular graduates is an ER dr and he has dreads to his mid back, had dreads for like 16 years. So that's one school for sure.
Kelly3
@kelly3
4 years ago
337 posts

An old post, but I'd love to know what the outcome was. I also want to go this route and I recently heard something similar.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
27,412 posts

we have doctors here on this site with dreads

though that 1 gyy said theres no exceptions to that rule theres no rule to be exceptioned to

thats just him saying that you can request the rule in writing if pressented with a rule and its not vague (no distracting hairstyles) and spexificly states no dreadlocks then you can inform them the rules ilegal and take them to court




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus