Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

rastafarian education?

Brandy :]
@brandy
12 years ago
106 posts

Okay, Ive read the WHOLE thing that SE posted, my friend has told meRastafarianbelieve that Jah is going to come back to earth and bring all black people back to africa. This why ive always wondered why white people chose to beRastafarian(besides the lifestyle choices they make). So is this true? To me this sounds uneducated and racist. Although, if this is true, i do respect that some people just have different beliefs.)

Cosmic Vagrant
@cosmic-vagrant
12 years ago
1 posts

I would be Rastafari but I don't believe half of what they believe. It's the same reason I'm not a Christian or Hindu orJehovahWitness. Almost all religion is aboutthe internal reflection, I prefer Buddhism though.

I also think most "white people" choose it as an excuse to smoke weed... It happens. The entire religion was about theempowermentof black people and Africa, which is beautiful in it's own right, I especially like the Lion symbolism. But it's not for me.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

Rastafarianism is to Africa as Judaism and Catholicism is to the middle east and then spread across the globe: "WE are the chosen people."

What does it mean to be chosen? Every major religion has a prophet or ten and how is one to make sense of all these different religions when each one claims they are the correct and only one worth choosing? ('m not saying this from an atheist point-of-view, btw. I am not atheist.)

And why would the Divine obliquely leave the other 95% of the human species out of his Special Book if he/she/it did indeed have a special chosen group of people? Isn't that cruel? Why would you want to have anything to do with such a spiritual concept?

It just smacks of elitism, is my point.

I watched this kick ass vid the other day of this natty haired guy who, at the very end of the video where it had nothing at all to do with the vid topic, posted "Black Power. Yes, I said it." Just what the hell is that supposed to convey?! I'm watching you make a to die for vegan salad in front of your camera (YUM!) and then... "Black Power!" ??!!

Saying White Power is just as hurtful and bigoted as saying Black Power. I was really liking this YouTuber until I saw the last frame in that vid. That was a major turn off, no matter how nice the guy was.

I didn't have to read very much about Rastafarianism before I realized that it is just as EXclusive as any of the other major religions. INclusivity is what humanity needs. I prefer gnosis with a hands-on approach to life and the divine. No question is wrong or stupid. We each have to live with our mistakes just like anyone else and no one is perfect. You show me a prophet and I'll show you a pedophile/adulterer/liar/murderer/etc.

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

I know this is an old topic, but I saw some videos of this guy who is Rasta and doesn't believe in the Bible or, at least, believes that people shouldn't be limited to the Bible, belief-wise. So I guess it isn't always down to believing in certain things. Then again, anyone can call themselves something without believing in what people consider the foundations of that religion or lifestyle, so I guess people will just have different ideas on what beliefs you have in order to be labeled rasta.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

True, Tara. That's how denominations are built.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Angel,

Almost all major religions will admit that jews are gods chosen people. The funny thing about jews is that they will tell you that god went to every group of people and asked them to blindly follow his laws. They asked what they were first, and god said "never mind". Hebrews were the last group he went to and they said yes. See the irony. Jews are all holier than thou, but really they were Gods last choice

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

lol, so what does that mean- that they're masochists?!! The Catholics with their shame and guilt complexes and the Jews with their masochism. Gnosticism and Buddhism are the only two main religious concepts I can feel positive feelings about from that time period.

If I was lost in the desert for 40 years I'd be looking to beat the shit out of someone. I'm really not a violent person by nature but for that- I'd definitely make an exception.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Jews lay on the guilt just as much as Catholics do. Just in a different way.

Jews are all about dwelling on the past. Every holiday, every prayer, every everything, they bring up their enslavement in Egypt and the exodus. It doesn't even matter to them that historians have proven beyond a matter of a doubt that Jews didn't build thepyramids.

The issue I have with Jews (I was raised in a pretty conservative jewish home), is that they complain about how people throughout history have wanted to hurt them. What do they expect. The go around everywhere telling people that they are the only true religion, that they are the conscience of the world, that everyone should listen to them, that they are gods chosen people, etc... And then they hide themselves in littlecommunitiesand don't want to interact with the rest of the world. Even people who convert are not really considered really jewish.

Why should anyone like them?

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

Professing an EXclusive religion is always going to alienate people. That's the whole point. To feel special and like you're superhuman and not merely human with all the same faults as the rest of us. You've got an exception card because it states that you are This religion. Hell, I was baptized Catholic and they can count me in their numbers if they want but I've only ever stepped foot in a Catholic Church to get shut eye. Just.. can't. ... help.. it... *snore*. Great times.

George Lane
@george-lane
12 years ago
5 posts

I'm just aware that Rasta takes many forms, one rasta might say that rasta is about unity, another might say it's alot to do with empowerment of the african people. As many spiritualities have divides and within a structure, so to does Rastafari. For instance the mansions of Rastafari; 12 tribes of Israel, Bobo Ashanti and Nyabinghi, they live their lives differently to each other while still all being rasta. I know alot of people who use the bibleas a source of moral code and conduct while claiming Rastafari, I personally believe it's much more internal, it's a very personal thing I think!

soaring eagle said:

why do u think people wont agree?

some will some wont i think alot will

im moving this to where it belongs

updated by @george-lane: 07/23/15 05:18:05AM

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form