Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread Newbie! Freaking the f**k out!

Erica Langston
@erica-langston
13 years ago
5 posts
I started a half attempt backcomb/neglecting my hair one month ago today and I was pretty unhappy with how it was going. Things were growing together and in all direction, which, despite SE's encouragement, is just not the way I want to go. I had a friend backcomb them yesterday and I HATE them! I lost a ton of length, they are incredibly uneven, and I am afraid they are way thicker than I wanted. My hair was layered before, so I knew they wouldn't be even, but some of them are SO short! There are about 30 (give or take). I twisted a few and they are the thickness that I wanted, but the rest look giant! I knew they would be puffy and sort of goofy looking, but I think this is a whole new level. PLEASE tell me if these will thin out, or are they going to be this thick forever? How can I get them to look a little more symmetrical? They are SO lopsided and I don't know why. I am especially freaking out because I teach and the condition of these bad boys is, unfortunately, unacceptable. Did anyone else have a similar look when they backcombed? Will I get any of my length back in the coming week?Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
updated by @erica-langston: 02/14/15 05:34:06AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

bafckcomb always looks goofy but that yea looks lil extra goofy

1st off why did u decide to backcomb indstead of tnr which absolutely woulda looked way better

2 she backcombed the hell outtsaa 1 side then got real lazy on the other side wich actualy will turn out way better

id wanna loosen uop that short side so its more natural like the long side maybe even comb out the silly blunted tips

was she drinking when she did it?

that woud explain why she got sloppy and lazy on 1 side (wghich actualy is the god side)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Erica Langston
@erica-langston
13 years ago
5 posts

She was not drinking when she did it, but I am afraid that's how I look. How can I loosen them up a bit? Will they get thinner as they get tighter? She had dreads for two years and I've seen some of the dreads she's "maintained" on other people and they look pretty good. I don't wth happened, but I need help!

Erica Langston
@erica-langston
13 years ago
5 posts

I have heard of some people cutting their dreads in half lengthwise in order to make one big one into two thinner ones. Is that an option once they lock up?

soaringeagle said:

bafckcomb always looks goofy but that yea looks lil extra goofy

1st off why did u decide to backcomb indstead of tnr which absolutely woulda looked way better

2 she backcombed the hell outtsaa 1 side then got real lazy on the other side wich actualy will turn out way better

id wanna loosen uop that short side so its more natural like the long side maybe even comb out the silly blunted tips

was she drinking when she did it?

that woud explain why she got sloppy and lazy on 1 side (wghich actualy is the god side)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

cuttings a bad idea u can rup em in 1/2 but thats not a smart idea either did she only backcomnb or crochet too?

u can conndition em and they will loosen right up almost fall out or fall out completely instead u might wanna try 1st the bs/acv but with stronger acv and longer so they start to loosen alot

question measure or estimate the thickness of the root area of the thickest dread

--
Erica Langston
@erica-langston
13 years ago
5 posts

She did both =(

What's bs/acv?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

oh nooo god that siuxd crochets extremely bad ni wonder

and u do not want to be twisting

umm i hate to tell u this but crochet makes em 1/3 as thick as a healthy dread should be so if theyre crochetted and too thick then she totaly screwed up the sectioning bad

why would u let her crochet you? backcombs bad enough!

and do not twist them

umm measure the root areas to see if they are savable at all

then u do want to condition them alot to quicken the crochet recovery

u should tell her that crochets horrible for dreads !

id be liknda pissed if anyone did that to me i hpe u didnt pay her much for that

bs/acv baking sioda soak rinse apple cider vinager soak rinse

will soften it up loosen up the way too tight crochet

if u use extra acv and extra long

--
Erica Langston
@erica-langston
13 years ago
5 posts
I will try to recover these and keep you posted. Thank you so much! I am kicking myself in the ass over this. I want to cry so bad!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

join the crochet recovery group and dont kick your ass kick hers u shoulda just dione twist n rip or kept goin natural (with your job tnr woulda been better) but she did that to u so u should kick her in her ass

--
Jackal
@jackal
13 years ago
132 posts
mine looked a lot like that when we got them backcombed. thick, puffy, ugly, etc. what i noticed is i could palm roll and while palm rolling, pull the dread outwords with my palm as i roll and it would slowly get longer and a little thinner. backcomb always looks ugly and thick at first but they relax and get thinner and longer over a week or 2. with that method though you can speed it up a little bit.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form