Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Racism with dreadlocks?

Sunflower
@sunflower
11 years ago
95 posts

Disclaimer: This is not meant to be racist in anyway shape or form, english is my second language so if I make a mistake which seems to be racist it completely isn't and don't take it wrong please!

While having dreadlocks last year and also just wanting dreadlocks the thing I have always been told is; dreadlocks are for black people, it's dirty and disgusting. But of course me being me I ignored it and well have dreadlocks :)

But today while on tumblr (kind of like facebook if you don't know) there was a discussion started by a black person about "why do white people have dreadlocks, and why do they think it looks good on them" (I'll attach the link below). Although I don't know this person or the other people which wrote more hatred towards "white" people with locks, it still got me quite annoyed. One reply was from another "colored" girl that

"white people can't wash their hair when they're trying to get dreads because it doesn't lock on its own."

Umm, what? I wash my hair as much as I want and if anything they dread faster. Put aside that this chick doesn't even have dreadlocks, she still feels the need to hate against "white" who have them. I really thought that the conflict with skin color was over..

Has anyone else had such things? or thoughts about the subject?

http://black-honey-biscuits.tumblr.com/post/43473365681/white-people-with-dreads-please-answer

updated by @sunflower: 02/14/15 07:56:48AM
emilio gonzalez
@emilio-gonzalez
11 years ago
32 posts

there will always be ignorant ,racist people in this world, all you can do show love , know your facts and teach who ever wants to listen

Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
11 years ago
92 posts
Well said, Emilio!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

racism requires stupidity and ignorance to exist

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sunflower
@sunflower
11 years ago
95 posts

It does, but what is absolutely amazing is that I looked through it again and they are all, well, black who are just hating against it. And they make fun of free forming, I just find it all extremely strange.. I was also called racist for saying that hating against white with locks is like hating against black who have dyed blonde hair. Umgh I don't know never had such stupidity

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

haha on youtube i had some idiot saying all kindsa of racist crap

white people are evil their hair doesnt dread it just tangles (whats the diference i dont oknow) all kinds of stupidity anyways when i called him out on his racism he says i cant be racist..im black only stupid evil crackers can be racist

even the kkk doesnt believe what they do is racist but they bel;ieve stuff lile equal opportunity is racist or affirmitive action.. ..

the reason is racism only feels like racism when direcrted at you or yoir race when ditrected at others it can be called pride in yoir race

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
11 years ago
92 posts
It's to my understanding that racism is a completely different animal here in the States compared to elsewhere.Blacks have a long history here in the US of being put down, exploited, and even targeted for acts of violence. Not only on the individual level but systemically. During the colonial era they were enslaved and treated worse than dogs, after they were freed they weren't afforded any rights and crimes were permitted against them. It was only recently - in the 1960's - that our entire system was forced to change and they were afforded civil liberties and protection under the same laws as whites.During the Civil Rights struggle, various ways of establishing a distinctly African-American culture to unify them and rebel against the suppressive white culture came about. Dreadlocks were a product of this. Specifically they were popularized by Rastafarians due to the religion's (lifestyle's?) strong Afro-centrism.The very name is said to come from the slave captors response to seeing the matted filthy hair of the enslaved after emerging from the ship in the Americas. The four month trip across the Atlantic left the people with dreadlocks.Since the hairstyle became synonymous with black culture first here in the mainstream US and for some blacks has become a source of cultural identity,seeing the hairstyle on whites can evoke strong feelings leading to some blacks to contend whites are appropriating the hairstyle from them.On the opposite side of the coin, whites saw blacks identifying with this hairstyle and began to associate the look with them. As said earlier, until recently it was systemic to regard blacks as second class citizens therefore black culture was/is "beneath" white culture. Only "derelict" whites would want to adopt something from black culture.I could go on... But that's the gist of why there's the racism from both blacks and whites behind this hairstyle.As said before, the only reason this kind of hatred perpetuates is because of ignorance. We must take time to research and stay open-minded and loving towards each other. It will never go away but we can lessen it.
Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
11 years ago
92 posts
Thankfully, in my experience, most of us - blacks and whites - just want to get along.We just treat each other as the individuals we are. This is what's important!I'm thankful that the people I interact with don't see skin color. I'm blessed to live in a loving community. :) I pray everyone will someday live like this.
amethyst777
@amethyst777
11 years ago
95 posts

Yeah... I get what you're saying. I had an instance where I was in a beauty supply store that sell mostly stuff for African American hair types. I went in looking for beads and fun stuff. The lady that ran the store was very welcoming and helpful. Of course she tried to sell me many products (that's her job), but I refused and explained I was going the natural route. She found this interesting and we even talked about how dreads can be quite spiritual (she did exactly have dreads, but a twisted dread-like hair style). She was very warm and inviting I liked her instantly, she even gave a huge warm hug before I left :) .

There was another lady that came in and was huffing and puffing towards me and rolling her eyes at my hair and stuff. The lady running the story smiled apologetically and just roller her eyes and let me know it was all good on my part. I decided to try to be really nice to this lady and smiled at her and when she came near asked her about some of the beads I was looking at. At first she was cold but the more I smiled and talked she warmed up, and we both left on a positive note. Although I'm not imitating anybody I mentioned that imitation is the biggest form of flattery and she smiled really big at me.

I guess I'm just saying.... I try to give out warm positive energy. It's really hard to stay mad at someone who is being extremely nice to you. I think / hope she left feeling different about white people with dreadlocks. I think being good to people is the only way to combat racism.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

We are all human beings, why must we judge other peoples looks? (I don't). To be natural and free is awesome, a beautiful feeling. Can't we all just get along without comments? Perhaps in another world

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form