Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My dread journey! (5 month update 4/2/2013) :)

Anna3
@anna3
12 years ago
70 posts

So here is the beginning of my (hopefully) never-ending dreadlock journey.

I had always admired people with dreads, and I had thought to myself "man it would be really awesome to have a set of my own beautiful locks." The idea was in my head for awhile but I never had really planned on going for it, not really sure why. A few months ago I met this girl who was growing some dreads and so I asked her all about them. After actually talking to someone about them, I decided to do a bit of research and I was completelyfascinated! They were all so beautiful and different and I wanted my own. So on October 24th my dreads were born! TnR style

I didn't really plan on making an "official" timeline until right about now, almost 2 months in. From here on though I'm going to attempt at getting better pictures so you guys can see what is happening up in thur.

My hair pre-dreads:

weeks 1-3

Terrible picture I know. Best I could do by myself with only a phone. This was after my 5 hour finger torturing session.

1 Month:

So far I love love love my dreads! I think they are coming along beautifully and I am waking up to new loops and zig zags every day! It's really exciting to see how they are changing, and I'm really actually becoming much more confident in myself. It's crazy how a change in hair can do that to you.

That's all I have so far! I'll try and do monthly updates and I will try to get better pictures and from more angles.

Month 2:

So I'm at my 2 month mark and I feel like I haven't made much progress at all. I find tighter loops everyday but it's just so frizzy! I can't wait until they become more defined and actually look like dreadlocks. My grandma and aunt even asked if I was still dreading my hair when they saw it on Christmas. Idk, I think everything is on the right track. I know the only thing I can do is be patient, and it really is a life lesson. I've already come to find that my dreads are teaching me a lot about patience and self confidence. As my dreads grow and mature, I plan on doing the same as a person. I'm striving to be more selfless and kind to others and think about others before myself. I'm really enjoying the process so far.

On another note, I've tried a few different soaps for washing like a shampoo bar from LUSH, a free sample from VooDoo soap, and also Dr. Bronners. I like the shampoo bars more than the Dr. though. Both make my hair really clean and don't leave behind any residues. (side note: I have hard water). More to come next month!

Month 3:

So here I am in month 3. Time seems to be going by quite slow, but that's because I keep looking at my hair and playing with it, I need to stop and just let it be, but it's just so hard! I love my hair haha. A lot has changed since last month and it's finally started shrinking...at different rates though.

I've been washing my hair about every 2-3 days, and I have toseparate it A LOT. I feel like my roots will never knot up because I'm always having to pull apart my hair. Not to mention it's a total mess in there. I have hairsattachedto multiple dreads. I'm trying to have faith that it will all work it's self out but I'm not sure. Also I'm afraid some of my dreadies are getting a little too think. I'm not sure if it's too early to judge that yet though. Anyway, enough rambling, here are some pictures.

Oh also I just washed my hair so it''s not as fluffy as it normally is lol.

My scalp doesn't always show. Also notice my very awkward shrinkage.

These guys are actually flat, will the end up rounding out?

And from the front

Well there ya have it. Any advice or comments would be much appreciated!!

Much love <3

Here is 4 months!

Lots of shrinkage this month. Also, I combed out a really fat dread that took up like my entire temple area and i'm letting all of that dread up naturally. Let me know what you think so far!

5 months (a little late)

I'm a little late putting up my 5 month update, but here it is. Some of them are getting quite fat and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Hopefully they will be a little better once my hair grows a bit longer. I did a deep clean about 2 or 3 weeks ago and that was interesting, the water was a really gross milky color when I was finished lol. I was surprised because I use a residue free shampoo but I guess gunk still gets trapped since my dreads are so thick.

So far I've just been letting them air dry and it's been taking about 6-7 hours. I don't put them up or sleep while they are damp so is that okay that I'm just letting them air dry or should I use a blow dryer?

That's all I can really think of right now. I'll update again in another month :)

Peace and love!

updated by @anna3: 02/14/15 05:18:26AM
Tim5
@tim5
12 years ago
359 posts

Looking good. Change is wonderful, have a great journey. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they are progressing fas and fattened up alot already

wow

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Anna3
@anna3
12 years ago
70 posts

A few of them congoed together. They really aren't too big though, probably the thickness of my pinky finger. some more and some less.

Anna3
@anna3
12 years ago
70 posts

finally at 2 months :p

OliviaJonas Aley
@oliviajonas-aley
12 years ago
30 posts

Nice! Even by pictures your personality seems to have blossomed!

It's month 1 for me!

Joey mipanyarack
@joey-mipanyarack
12 years ago
80 posts
They look awesome and you definitely have a good aura about you!
Anna3
@anna3
12 years ago
70 posts

Thank you! And congrats on 1 month! I bet you're like me and can't wait to see what they will look like after a year :)

OliviaJonas Aley said:

Nice! Even by pictures your personality seems to have blossomed!

It's month 1 for me!

Anna3
@anna3
11 years ago
70 posts

I've put up my 3 month update!! :)

katietheladi
@katietheladi
11 years ago
34 posts

did any of your TNRs come out? im having one of those days where i want to forget the neglect and do some TNR to speed things up.

anyways, yours are looking so good! really suits you

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form