Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Bleached dreads damage? Need advice lovelies :)

Alive She Cried
@alive-she-cried
12 years ago
51 posts

I have natural wax free dreads and I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of anyone's dreads falling out from bleaching them or them getting so weak that they tug them and they rip out? If so how much were the bleaching it I know bleaching it makes holes in the hairfollicle, i wonder how bad bleaching it once a month to dye it would be? any bleaching dreads advice/experienceswelcome thanks :)

updated by @alive-she-cried: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ive seen very bad damage but was bleaching and dread perm combined but bleaching monthly seems like it would be really harsh on the hair

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Delerious indigo
@delerious-indigo
12 years ago
1 posts

Yep its bad for them, my last set were black and i decided i wanted them purple, beached them and they got damaged pretty bad, one of them fell off and i sewed them back together again, if you do decide to bleach them, only dfo the roots as maintenace not the whole dread every time.

Alive She Cried
@alive-she-cried
12 years ago
51 posts

what method were you using though backcombed naturl etc? and had you used wax or crochet etc?

Delerious indigo said:

Yep its bad for them, my last set were black and i decided i wanted them purple, beached them and they got damaged pretty bad, one of them fell off and i sewed them back together again, if you do decide to bleach them, only dfo the roots as maintenace not the whole dread every time.

Alive She Cried
@alive-she-cried
12 years ago
51 posts

i bleached my hair once a month for about a year and it actually gave me a nice texture and more body but i did keep it shoulder length and get the ends trimmed pretty often. i don't use any matnience at all so i have nothing working against me except the bleach, bleach the roots sounds good to me but what about when i wanna change the color and need it all bleach would it be better to use a color stripper? i plan on using directions

Steele said:

Yeah hair really shouldn't be bleached more than once, though I think a lot of dye addicts have been guilty of bleaching it again to get rid of a colour fast! A single bleaching shouldn't do your hair much harm as long as you're very gentle with it for a couple of weeks afterwards (for brushed hair that means a ton of conditioner, not great for dreads but if you feel the condition is really poor a quick condition might be worth doing). If you're doing any dreadlock maintenance at all (re-backcombing, re-twist and ripping, crotchet, root rubbing, tip rubbing, even palm rolling) then stop until the condition has totally recovered. I mean, I know most people on this site are anti-maintenance in the first place but anything even slightly destructive is many times more so if your hair is already weakened and things you could get away with normally will cause serious breakage. After that just do the roots and try to avoid any overlap, then no part of your hair has been bleached more than once.

Natural dyes like henna, and natural based semi-permanent dyes like Directions/Manic Panic/Stargazer/Adore brands, are totally harmless to use, although the conditioning effect may make your dreads a little loose and fuzzy for a short time afterwards.

If you bleach your hair all over once a month, dreads or no dreads, it's going to fall out. Or rather, it'll turn to spongey plasticy stuff, shrivel up and crumble off. Trust me I've been there, I made it around 8 months (was trying to strip it down to white blonde) and then was left with less than an inch of hair. Unless you're wearing your hair short and constantly cutting off the damage you can't bleach it that often without completely trashing it. If you do bleach at all make sure you get all of it out of your dreads because even a tiny trace left in the core will keep processing and weaken their structure, which can cause breakage long term even if it seems ok at the time.

Alive She Cried
@alive-she-cried
12 years ago
51 posts

thank you for your reply, very helpful! :)

Steele said:

It sounds like you have veryresilienthair which is lucky :) Colour stripper doesn't reliably work on Directions or other stains because they are very different chemically, I've used it once and although it did noticably fade the colour it didn't completely shift it. You could try using a few packs of colour stripper spaced over a few days, or do a bleach bath (bleach mixed with shampoo) which although it would be damaging it would cause much less trauma to your hair than pure bleach and will take it up a couple of shades. I've heard good things about fading with vitamin C but no idea how good that is, or if it's damaging at all to hair. Most colours are strong enough they'll cover over a very faded colour, unless you're aiming to go from a bright to a pastel or using something like a yellow or orange that will show through any dark stains in the hair.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form