Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Seriously thinking of shaving my hair off.

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Just this past month, I celebrated my 1st dread birthday. It was an accomplishment. Now, here I am one month later. I looked in the mirror today...really looked...and I HATE my hair. I really do. I have HUGE bumps that look like turds hanging from each dread and I can't wear any beads. There is a mix of ugly, wispy, broken hair all over my head. I have so many broken pieces from constantly having to seperate! These bumps aren't sucking in...they aren't. And although I have grown soooo much in length, most of my dreads are about 3 in. long, if I cut those bumps off...maybe 2 inches.The ends of my hair are so thin and thrashed. I am disappointed and sad. How long am I supposed to hang in there? I know I have dreads, but most people would still not think...oh, there are dreads, cuz it just looks like shit. I did this for myself...but I feel like a fool. Honestly, if I had backcombed I would have reasonably even sections instead of this mixed bag mess and I would probably also have less broken hair than I do now because I know how to backcomb properly (I did go to school for it!). I just don't see how this disaster is going to turn into anything. I haven't seen one person here with anything like what I have...Iand I especially haven't seen a timeline that starts like mine and ends in beautiful dreads.
updated by @panterra-caraway: 02/15/15 05:47:18AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

theyre short the lumps look big with them so short now picture them twice as long dont thdesy look a thousand times better?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
Honestly SE, no. Anything that is dreaded nicely all the way to the scalp has a HUGE bump on the end and anything with a smaller bump on the end isn't dreaded except from the middle to the rnd and then there are tons of little strings of loose hair with nowhere to go and the undreaded ends look like I fed them through a cheese grater. It is really hard to sleep because these bumps are really tight and hard like rope that is made into a big knot. I look homeless.

soaring eagle said:

theyre short the lumps look big with them so short now picture them twice as long dont thdesy look a thousand times better?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i really dont think they look so bad but still in that awkward stage yours started off slower then many so i guess theyre lil behind on progress i do see that 1 huge lump wich i guess could be unconfy

u can try wrapping the big lumps try to squeeze em down some

--
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
I added a couple of pics so you could see what I specifically mean. The first one is typical of most of my bumps. They are too big to wrap, I have tried and they are too hard and compacted to squeeze down. I don't know what to do.

soaring eagle said:

i really dont think they look so bad but still in that awkward stage yours started off slower then many so i guess theyre lil behind on progress i do see that 1 huge lump wich i guess could be unconfy

u can try wrapping the big lumps try to squeeze em down some

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
the 1st 1 i can see being lil annoying the 2nd 1 i really like alot tho

--
Jeanna
@jeanna
13 years ago
20 posts
Awww! *hugs* I'm so sorry that you are unhappy with your dreads! Please don't shave your head! You will be so sad. If you do anything, carefully comb them out and do what you want with them. Even though it's been a year, they look like they have a long way to go still. I can't tell you what they would look like if you let them be. Again, please don't shave your head.Much love,Jeanna
Electric Mama
@electric-mama
13 years ago
80 posts
I say don't shave!! It can take a while because every one's hair is different, I agree with Jeanna, try to separate what you want to fix. There was a time when I was frustrated with mine and my friend did some major dread surgery and separated them all about and sectioned them for me. Wrap them with hemp as tight at you can, that will help with the bumps, you can also wear hats. If EXTREMELY necessary you can even cut them a part. Your hair doesn't make who you are, so never let it get to you like that. Keep your chin up, and let those babies dread!
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

awwww, panterra. i know exactly how you feel. i've even been considering a drastic cut. you and i have definitely had a hard journey. its really tough seeing all these people with beautiful locks that were formed in a matter of months when you and i have waited so long just to get a few. right now i'm just trying to make it to a year and then i'll go from there. i have a few "knot blobs" i call them that i'm definitely not happy about. i don't think mine are anywhere close to the size of yours though because you have thicker hair. what about combing out the ones your not happy with? maybe t&r some sections for some control amongstthe chaos?

i really don't know what to tell you because i'm pretty much in the same boat you are. all i can do is offer love and support and know that whatever you decide to do we will all be here for you. {{{BIG HUGS}}}

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
The dreaded parts will never comb out because they are soooooo tightly knotted up...I would be bald trying to comb this out.

Jeanna said:
Awww! *hugs* I'm so sorry that you are unhappy with your dreads! Please don't shave your head! You will be so sad. If you do anything, carefully comb them out and do what you want with them. Even though it's been a year, they look like they have a long way to go still. I can't tell you what they would look like if you let them be. Again, please don't shave your head.

Much love,
Jeanna
 / 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form