Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Painful scalp

Aurora Borealis
@aurora-borealis
13 years ago
34 posts
Hello everybody! I have been naturally dreading for about a year and a half (I stopped brushing my hair in December of 2009 and have never used any dreading methods or products) and within the past several months the top of my scalp has been extremely painful. I havea big mama dread up there and that's the area where most of the pain comes from. I don't have a lot of dandruff but it's so fucking painful. I think it's because of lack of stimuation since I don't do any maintenance and obviously don't brush my hair. I'm going to try salt water and apple cider vinegar and see how that goes. I'm also going to flip that dread so it falls to the other side of my head. Any suggestions are welcome!
updated by @aurora-borealis: 01/13/15 09:04:59PM
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

I have had that same issue on the top of my head. on one of my dreads the root knotted up weird for a little while. It tightened up on one side before the other. Which caused the weight of the dread to pull on the knotted part and not be distributed equally. It became pretty sore. I kept my hair pulled up for a few days to keep any weight off of it. I slept with it flipped over on the other side. It quickly fixed itself.

I have a couple of dreads on top that twist around 360 degrees as the roots lock up. I do not twist them, they do it on their own. I had tried keeping them untwisted when this happened. So now i just let them twist all they want. It has never happened since.

It could also be a little pimple on your scalp. Those can be painful. If this is the case, put a little tea tree on the sore part.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

pimple or ingrown hair but u say "big momma dread" how big at the roots dreads too thick can pull unevenly causing pain

your idea of repositioning it to redistribute the weights not a bad idea to try

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Aurora Borealis
@aurora-borealis
13 years ago
34 posts

It's not sore like a pimple, it's a dull pain.The sensation is kind ofhard to explain.I slept with it flipped to the other side and it already feels better! Wooohoo!

Thank you Taye!

Soaring Eagle, what's all of this stuff I'm hearing about apple cider vinegar? What should I be doing with it?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

if u wash with baking soda apple cider vinagar resets the ph ballance ands slightly conditions (more just softens)

it also helps remove excess ouils but if yor oiluy by nature you8ir already acidic rso it can make u more oilty

but say u used too much jojoba it cean help remove some undiluted it can even help remove wax

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Aurora Borealis
@aurora-borealis
13 years ago
34 posts
I moved the big dready to the other side of my head and have been rearranging it everyday for the past couple days and it's wonderful! It has really helped my head feel better. I think that and massaging my scalp was what did it. Now I just need to keep this up so I don't end up in the same position again. Thanks for your help everyone!
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
yours sound exactly like what mine are doing. they're rotating 360 degrees as they knot closer to my scalp and one side is always tighter which causes a lot of pulling and pain. i'm hoping they'll work themselves out soon.

taye said:

I have had that same issue on the top of my head. on one of my dreads the root knotted up weird for a little while. It tightened up on one side before the other. Which caused the weight of the dread to pull on the knotted part and not be distributed equally. It became pretty sore. I kept my hair pulled up for a few days to keep any weight off of it. I slept with it flipped over on the other side. It quickly fixed itself.

I have a couple of dreads on top that twist around 360 degrees as the roots lock up. I do not twist them, they do it on their own. I had tried keeping them untwisted when this happened. So now i just let them twist all they want. It has never happened since.

It could also be a little pimple on your scalp. Those can be painful. If this is the case, put a little tea tree on the sore part.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form