dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

roots getting thinner

Noa N
@noa-n
13 years ago
4 posts

hi everyone,

so a few days ago i noticed my roots have suddenly gotten dramatically thinner.

about a week ago i posted here after i dyed my dreads. it was really difficult for me to get all the residue out, i rinsed my dreads really good and also used vinegar and natural shampoo and rosemary tea. but i'm still not sure that 100% of the color residue came out... could this be the source of the problem?

i haven't done any sort of maintenance (except regular washing) for a few months now so it's not like i used too much pressure on the roots.

also, i thought maybe this happened because i used to put my hair up in a pony tail a lot...?

or maybe my roots just dreaded themselves and it seems to me i have less root-hair?

i'm really concerned and i have no idea what to do... i'm actually freaking out every day afraid that my dreads will fall out any minute lol

any advice? please help!

updated by @noa-n: 01/13/15 08:58:47PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
how thin are they the real thin ones let congo it could be the chems bt sorta think they just loosened the roots making them feel thinner?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
13 years ago
362 posts
Don't worry about the residue left by the dye unless you used one that included a bleaching agent. Most dyes have a 'stop time' where the chemicals become inert and just sit there. So I very highly doubt that it's the dye. It usually takes me up to a week to rinse out all the remaining dye depending on the color, and how thick the dye was to begin with. Apple cider vinegar is my best friend when it comes to getting dye out of my hair. Be warned though, baking soda and vinegar WILL strip your hair of dye, making the color fade prematurely.Your dreads are still young, but if they've gained a bit of girth, then the 'thinning roots' may just be something of an optical illusion. I know I felt as though mine were thinning, when in reality it was just that the body of my dreads was so thick, that the roots looked much thinner in comparison. The pony tail could have caused a bit of extra stress (and possibly some strangely shaped dreadlocks, I know I have a few) but I doubt that it's caused a thinning in your hair.At this point I would recommend just being really gentle with them (tam instead of pony tail if you can help it), taking a good multivitamin and hoping for the best. I'm sure things will even out if given love and a bit of time.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
pics would be helpful. Did you use crochet or any other possibly damaging forms of maintenance before? That could have something to do with it but it's probably one of those things that just seems worse to you and isn't even noticeable to others. Don't stress! Many Blessings
Noa N
@noa-n
13 years ago
4 posts

well, actually the dye DID include bleach.

and i have used crochet until about 3 months ago, very often actually, but since then i haven't touched my dreads.

i've included pictures, if that will help. maybe you can't really see how thin they are, but when i touch the roots they definitely feel weaker and thinner than they used to be. alsomy locksare really messy but maybe you can stillsee a bit...

GratefulNick
@gratefulnick
13 years ago
155 posts

I have a dread that is thin like that too, but I'm just gonna let mother nature take its course, the less you do to make it better the longer its gonna take to make it better. Maybe you should be more gentle with them

NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
well they do look a bit damaged from the crochet, I suggest being really gentle with them from now on, bleaching already damaged hair probably wasn't the best thing to do, Just keep them clean and separated from now on. Panterra is an amazing hairdresser and has immense knowledge on hair structure so shoot her a message if you want, she may have some better advice than me. Anyway hang in there, don't stress and just give your hair some lovin! Many Blessings
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yea i see alotta crochet damage but i dont see thinning roots ui see a thin spot about an inch from the roots

possible causes..still real tight from the crochet just in that spot (try a squeeze test there and an incfh or 2 farther from the roots)

or might just be normal some dreads get bumps

others get dents kinks u name it

its not dramaticly thin or threattening to break so just be gentle

keep an eye on it tho for more signs of trouble

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form