Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Sooo trying to not have to ask these questions ;)

Angie Glaze
@angie-glaze
13 years ago
18 posts

I hit 2 weeks yesterday, started with T&R and very minimal crochet.After finding this site,I haven't done anything to them beyond seperating and I've washed 3 times so far(baking soda,sea salt). The main questions(concerns) I have right now:

1.I still have weird "scalpy" places showing in the back of my head,up around the crown area...I'm assuming it's just from the way they were sectioned when my friend T&R'd them...but will that go away with time?

2.My end/tips are actually coming together really well on their own, and I'm glad now that we didn't blunt them...but several of the roots are really loosening,especially on either side of my head.Should I totally leave them alone or would it help to put a bead up towards the loose root in those places? I have other beads in, but none as far up as the root area.

3.I do have what appears to be some dandruff, and I have used tea tree oil which has helped the itching.Will the dandruff pass on it's own as my scalp adjusts to the less frequent washing and the tightning of my hair...or should I do something else to get rid of it?

4. Approx how long(with T&R) til the "braided" look isn't as apparant?

I posted some pics in the photo section last week, I will try to post current ones tonight. Thanks again for all the help this site has provided me already :)

updated by @angie-glaze: 01/13/15 08:57:06PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

1 the crochet is probly more why u have the scalpy look if so it can take awhile to go away if its just sectioning it wont last long

2roots will be and should be loose a bead at the roots will only cause u pain when you roll over and drive it into ypuir brain leave em alone entirely

3are u using the acv

baking soda without acv aftyer wilk dry the scalp use the acv..add rosemary to the teatree

4within a month most likely

the crochet didnt help since they shoulda loosened up to lose that look if they take a long time its cause the crochets not letting them move enough

and delaying progress

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

Congratz on your baby dreads! The "scalpy" look will diminish with time. New baby loose hair will grow and kinda cover those areas up. Plus your dreads are gonna fatten up some and fill in areas too.

Roots need to be loose. If they were tight to your scalp, they would stick straight out and be uncomfortable and hard to sleep on. The loose roots allow your hair to move around and form knots. it is normal for baby dreads to have up to 3 inches of unknotted roots. Even mature dreads have an inch to an inch and a half. Just leave it alone, it is fine :)!

Your head is used to being combed or brushed to get rid of the naturally occurring flakes. Since you cannot do that anymore, your scalp is gonna take some time to adjust. It usually works itself out. If not search Dandruff on here....there is lots of info about how to control it.

Depending on how tight you did your t&r. Light t&r will loosen and knot up faster than tight t&r. I have seen t&r that still had that braided look even years later. It had been done way way too tight. Looser t&r will loop up and get those beautiful zig zags and loose that braided look in a few weeks to a couple of months. But again....it depends on your hair and how tight or how loosely it was done. Hope that helped :)

Angie Glaze
@angie-glaze
13 years ago
18 posts
Thanks both of you, and yes,taye- that helped alot! I do already have alot of loops,bumps and zig-zags, and I don't really feel like the T&R was done tightly or aggressively at all...so it sounds like I'm headed in the right direction. Affirmation is sometimes needed in this process! Thanks again...Peace.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form