Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Questions

Medusa
@medusa
13 years ago
57 posts
So I think at this point, almost three months in to my dreadlock journey, the single most annoying question is "so, how long are you going to leave your hair like that?"As long as it takes, as long as I want, as long as this feels right for me...there is no single answer. I wanted dreadlocks to teach me patience and how to surrender control in my life. Had I found this site a long time ago, I'd have gone natural and had a more authentic journey, but it is what it is, and I am where I am. How do you all respond when asked how long you are leaving your hair in dreads? No one in my world seems to get it.
updated by @medusa: 02/14/15 08:20:35AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
used to be "till they wear off from dragging on the ground" but now that ive bneen past that point a few years its "till the day i die"

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Medusa
@medusa
13 years ago
57 posts
Right on, brother!!

soaringeagle said:
used to be "till they wear off from dragging on the ground" but now that ive bneen past that point a few years its "till the day i die"
Medusa
@medusa
13 years ago
57 posts
THAT is memorable!!

Knottysleeves said:
For me, it depends on the tone of the question. If someone is generally curious and polite about it, I just say something like "I've had them for x number of years already and love them, so I'll probably keep them a long time." But if someone is being all condescending and patronizing, I just look at their head and say "I dunno, how long are you going to keep yours like that?"
Medusa
@medusa
13 years ago
57 posts
I fit your basic description pretty well too! Thanks for your reply!

Kristina P said:

....same problem here, esp. since I'm a middle aged white city christian woman!

no one will understand until they come on the journey!

Some friend on FB said she was having a bad hair day. I told her just don't comb it for 50 days like me. Nextcommenter thought I was joking.

The one thing that keeps me going is I don't want to go back to washing, conditioning, drying, combing styling and worrying about my hair.

Dreadlocks and others comments will teach you patience :) Just smile and tell them you love them for worrying so much about your hair ;)

I've been called Medusa too and made fun of...

Hang in there!

Medusa
@medusa
13 years ago
57 posts
Yes, you are a bit past that point!! Truth is,I don't know how long, and it's really not somethingI am thinking about!

soaringeagle said:
Medusa
@medusa
13 years ago
57 posts
I like this answer too! Some people are sincereand respectful in their questions, but most arejust making noise, IMO.

Suzanne Beattie said:
I just say i don't know andthen calmlytell them that I'll just shave it all off if I ever get sick of the dreads - that usually puts a dampner on their fun lol. x
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts

I like knottysleeve's answer :P I get a lot of "how can you stand that rats nest?!" right now....it is disheartening but I just smile and say it's all a process and if it DOES bother me then I pull it back or throw on a hat....I also then go on to tell them how at least I dun have to take 4 hours of my life to straighten my hair and condition and worry about killing it with all these other products anymore :P

Medusa
@medusa
13 years ago
57 posts
I do hear "doesn't it hurt?" "you STILL have it like that?" and "I couldn't stand it if my hair did that". No, it doesn't hurt. Yes, it's still like this. And well, it's a good thing you're not doing this with your hair then!" I just wish anybody I actually see in day to day life would even kinda get it!! I'm sooo glad for all of you here!!!

Shanxon Lemasters said:

I like knottysleeve's answer :P I get a lot of "how can you stand that rats nest?!" right now....it is disheartening but I just smile and say it's all a process and if it DOES bother me then I pull it back or throw on a hat....I also then go on to tell them how at least I dun have to take 4 hours of my life to straighten my hair and condition and worry about killing it with all these other products anymore :P

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
well since i'm still in the beginning of my journey right now it doesn't even look like i have dreads. it looks more like a big mess. so far no one but my immediate family knows of my journey. i usually have them covered up with a hat or scarf. i can't wait until i can where them as is. i'm a little too self conscious right now.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form