Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

tightening roots

Gene Thompson
@gene-thompson
14 years ago
29 posts
So, yesterday I made a decision to get my locks a little more tidy lookin for the holidays and to visit family, BIGGEST MISTAKE I MADE IN A LONG TIME! I went to an afro-centric barber across the street from my workplace, spoke to a woman whom they said specialized in twist, braids, locks, etc. Basically to make this short, I wasted $60 for her to put some goey crap in my hair, pull the hell out of my hair, and sit under some head dryer for like an hour. I'm 1/2 african-american but I have very fine hair and so she said that that was one reason for it "being difficult to tighten my roots." I think I went against my beliefs this time, and the consequences of it are apparent. So my question to my dreadlocks community and friends is, how do i get this sh*t out of my hair? I had to wash again today, still all greasy and slipery. I used the dreadhead shampoo cuz I ran out of maylee's gardens soaps, I do got some baking soda sitting around somewhere there. What do u guys recommend? I just want my crown and glory feeling normal again. Soaring eagle, I know youre out there.
updated by @gene-thompson: 02/14/15 09:45:59AM
vbzuesk
@vbzuesk
14 years ago
7 posts
Hey, i'm not soringeagle but I hope this helps. I had pretty much the same thing happen to me. Maybe a week or so after I got dreads, I let my friends mom play with them. She has beautiful locks down to her back so I pretty much believed anything she said. ( she has Afro textured hair, but I'm white.) she asked if I maintained them and I said no. So she asked if I wanted some help and I said sure. She sectioned off my hair and then covered them in this mago smelling junk and just twisted the hell out of them. I could feel it on my scalp. I didn't like it, so after a week I soaked in hot water, apple cider vinegar, and lemon and it seemed to help. I would recommend the beach too. It helped my hair, which is like curly and thick. I hope this helps. Hah
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

hot water vionager soal is a good start i really dunno cause they bake that crap on

ok lesson learned never let any salon touch your dreads..period

hope u can loosen em up some too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts

dish soap will take just about anything out of your dreads.

and it's cheap.

Gene Thompson
@gene-thompson
14 years ago
29 posts
Thanks u guys, and yeah christianvb it smelled like some kind of disgusting sweet mago crap, I'm not exactly sure what she used, very greasy though, could be some kind of commercial beeswax, or some kind of grease or pomade, almost certain it has petroleum in it, I can feel it. I didnt wash this morning but I can't stand going another day without washing this stuff out, I'm most likely going to wash tomorrow morning. (uuugh, never again lo!l)
Sydney Noel
@sydney-noel
14 years ago
10 posts
I went through the same thing a few days ago. It sucks! I feel like this stuff will never come out!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
im sute its mango and lime twisting gel or they make several products they bake in the gel for some reasoni think some of em are waxy maybe u should call the salon ask em what they used and how u get that crap out

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
sydney yours are only 3 weeks old why would u go fior tightening?taye.. salons and families put alotta pressure on ppl and guilt u into thinking u gotta tidy up especiualky for careers and holidays dont judgge if u dont know the pressure he might have been under

--
Gabe McCoy
@gabe-mccoy
14 years ago
120 posts
a hot water vinegar soak should work, the dread head soap would work too though, I find that it cleans pretty effectively if not a little hard to get all the way out.
Gene Thompson
@gene-thompson
14 years ago
29 posts
The dreadhead soap is good, does a good job getting residues out but I find after using it consecutively, it starts to dry the hell out of my hair. I do keep it in my shampoo rotation, maylee's garden soaps are nice too. I just ordered a shampoo from etsy that removes waxes and residues, looking forward to seeing how effective it is.even though I dont mess with wax, who knows what this lady put in my hair!). I'll let you guys know after using it . Blessings.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form