Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The Great "Outdoors" and dreads??????

MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
O.K. - I have kind of a wierd question, but another member and I have been emailing each other about this today... When you live on a farm, or in the woods, etc. and you spend a lot of time outside either working with animals or just hanging - do you have to worry more about getting bugs or critters in your dreads???? I garden a lot, take care of my chickens and spend a lot of time in a field and under trees. We have a lot of ticks in the spring, spiders and just bugs in general. I am always swatting at or picking some stinging or biting bug off. We tend to get a lot of spiders too - big, "honkin", man-eating garden spiders!! LOL! I don't want these things stuck "in" my hair - even temporarily. Do I really need to be concerned about this? I know I can cover my hair when I work, but is that enough? I use an organic shampoo with tea-tree, eucalyptus and rosemary. Can anyone let me know if I am being overly concerned or have any suggestions? Thanks!
updated by @midread: 01/13/15 08:34:10PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yeatree and eucolyptus both repell bugs i spend alotta tuime deep in the wilderness too and where we have drum circles typicaly every night the ppl around me would get 3-8 ticks each and well in 20 years i had 1 tick sucking on my head 1 in my navel and 3-4 crawling on my but not suckingalso i find at gatherings the 1st 2 days there u get eatten alive but after 2 days wont get bit once its a combo of getting dirty being around a fire and change of diet perfumy products sweets sugary snacks etc junk foods seem to make ya a more tasty snackto deal with bitting insects i smear lil mud or ash on bites t soothes the itch and discpurages more bittingi guess the answer is i just dont worry bout it much

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Well, getting dirty and muddy is not a problem when I am in the garden, that is one reason why I garden in my bare feet. I still seem to get chased around by a lot of bugs when I'm there. soaringeagle said:
yeatree and eucolyptus both repell bugs i spend alotta tuime deep in the wilderness too and where we have drum circles typicaly every night the ppl around me would get 3-8 ticks each and well in 20 years i had 1 tick sucking on my head 1 in my navel and 3-4 crawling on my but not sucking

also i find at gatherings the 1st 2 days there u get eatten alive but after 2 days wont get bit once its a combo of getting dirty being around a fire and change of diet perfumy products sweets sugary snacks etc junk foods seem to make ya a more tasty snack

to deal with bitting insects i smear lil mud or ash on bites t soothes the itch and discpurages more bitting

i guess the answer is i just dont worry bout it much
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well tea 1st time u wipe your butt with perfumt tioletpaper use a scented soap eat some junk food etc but i think its more the being around a fire that keeps em away the smoky smell MiDread said:
Well, getting dirty and muddy is not a problem when I am in the garden, that is one reason why I garden in my bare feet. I still seem to get chased around by a lot of bugs when I'm there.

soaringeagle said:
yeatree and eucolyptus both repell bugs i spend alotta tuime deep in the wilderness too and where we have drum circles typicaly every night the ppl around me would get 3-8 ticks each and well in 20 years i had 1 tick sucking on my head 1 in my navel and 3-4 crawling on my but not sucking

also i find at gatherings the 1st 2 days there u get eatten alive but after 2 days wont get bit once its a combo of getting dirty being around a fire and change of diet perfumy products sweets sugary snacks etc junk foods seem to make ya a more tasty snack

to deal with bitting insects i smear lil mud or ash on bites t soothes the itch and discpurages more bitting

--
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
Except for the bugs that will try to live in your hair you don't have to worry any more than having them get on your skin. I'm typically more worried about my dog getting playful and biting my dreads(which has happened, ow) than most bugs. lol.Even lice, ticks or the occasional desperate flea....Once they are dead they rot away pretty quick(disgusting thought I know) leaving just the exoskeleton which you end up getting more of that kind of stuff stuck in your dreads just laying on a pillow and from the dust in the air.Typically, within a day you will have inhaled more bug matter than would be stuck in your hair after getting lice.
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Ha-Ha - you lost me on that one SE - what about the scented toilet paper and perfumed soap you use????? ;P soaringeagle said:
well tea 1st time u wipe your butt with perfumt tioletpaper use a scented soap eat some junk food etc but i think its more the being around a fire that keeps em away the smoky smell

MiDread said:
Well, getting dirty and muddy is not a problem when I am in the garden, that is one reason why I garden in my bare feet. I still seem to get chased around by a lot of bugs when I'm there.

soaringeagle said:

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well soon as u use it again theyre right back bitting ya theyre attracted to ther scents MiDread said:
Ha-Ha - you lost me on that one SE - what about the scented toilet paper and perfumed soap you use????? ;P

soaringeagle said:
well tea 1st time u wipe your butt with perfumt tioletpaper use a scented soap eat some junk food etc but i think its more the being around a fire that keeps em away the smoky smell

MiDread said:

soaringeagle said:

--
DJ DIRTY BOY
@dj-dirty-boy
14 years ago
6 posts
Last year i would find a few mosquitoes would wash out of my hair during the summer time at night after working and ended up just shaving my head to avoid having bugs stuck in my hair. Im in the same boat with MIDread. I live on a farm, do gardening, and am commonly exposed to insects. Im kind of curious what happens to the exoskeleton over a period of time if a bug does get in my hair. Would the exoskeleton be harmful to the dread?
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
I have this picture of a bunch of little bug skeletons hanging from my dreads like little dead decorations....
DJ DIRTY BOY
@dj-dirty-boy
14 years ago
6 posts
LoL In a kinda twisted way that almost sounds cool to me LoL MiDread said:
I have this picture of a bunch of little bug skeletons hanging from my dreads like little dead decorations....
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form