Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Life after Locks

Levi Caribou
@levi-caribou
11 years ago
6 posts

Just curious, has anyone on this site kept dreads for a long period of time, then got rid of them? I'm asking because I am curious what happens to hair after dreads. I'm not sure how long I plan to have dreads for (a good while, I'm sure) but am curious what happens to hair growth after dreads.

I've heard it permanently changes the way your hair grows (which is fine with me), I just want to hear what life is like after locks!

updated by @levi-caribou: 01/13/15 09:59:45PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no such thing once you lock your locked for life many may take put a set or 2 even 4 but everytime they do a year later they want to dred again and again

it permenantly changes you not your hair so you will always dread again

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lisa7
@lisa7
11 years ago
5 posts

I've heard that it is possible to comb out dreads, even after they've been in for years and have used wax. Use a dread comb, lots of shampooing and conditioning hair to loosen up the locks, a few friends to help out and a LOT of spare time. That is, if you don't want to cut all of your hair off. As far as dreads changing how your hair grows, I've never heard of that.

Cathy
@cathy
11 years ago
33 posts

I had dreads for 5 1/2 years and 2 days ago they were cut off. I still absolutely loved them but time for a change. They were cut to about 3 inches and then I sat with conditioner on for half an hour while me and my Mum teased them apart. I now have a short pixie hair cut :)

Obviously I can't comment on how it grows afterwards but I can't imagine it being too different, although the hair follicles will be more stimulated now what with more washing and brushing etc.

re: SE's "you will always dread again", way to over generalize! Yes a large proportion may, and yes a lot may want to but no, not everyone will redread.

Casey Fay
@casey-fay
11 years ago
90 posts

I kinda agree with SE. Ibelieveall would want to re-dread and maybe most will again. The problem with being a dreadie, is that this choice to dread is a commitment different from others. It is a life changingevent. Italters you. It is very possible to use dreads to change yourself,but then not needing them to define you.You can never be who you were before dreads but you can be the person dreads made you , even when the dreads are gone. Picture of new look would be nice! Iam always curious as to why they are removed. Care to share?

Cathy said:

I had dreads for 5 1/2 years and 2 days ago they were cut off. I still absolutely loved them but time for a change. They were cut to about 3 inches and then I sat with conditioner on for half an hour while me and my Mum teased them apart. I now have a short pixie hair cut :)

Obviously I can't comment on how it grows afterwards but I can't imagine it being too different, although the hair follicles will be more stimulated now what with more washing and brushing etc.

re: SE's "you will always dread again", way to over generalize! Yes a large proportion may, and yes a lot may want to but no, not everyone will redread.

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

That is a question that I will never be able to answer. I will be dreaded the rest of my life!!

Casey Fay
@casey-fay
11 years ago
90 posts

I really understand Taye, I just started but I waited seven years to do it. Now it has begun, I have never been more sure of anything in my life.But I also understand people change and losing the locs might propel someone in a different path.Your locs are awesome by the way . I will be posting my babies soon.

taye said:

That is a question that I will never be able to answer. I will be dreaded the rest of my life!!

Cathy
@cathy
11 years ago
33 posts

Sure, here's a before and after! (sorry if they're massive)

The decision wasn't based on a single thing, and definitely wasn't a snap decision. Essentially having dreads perfectly framed a certain time in my life. That part is now over and I left like I needed to move on. Part of me is looking forward to not being defined by my hair any more but I will really miss the opportunity to change peoples ideas and preconceptions. It took several months to accept that I was even considering it and then another couple to build up to it. No regrets but then it's only really the 2nd full day without them!

updated by @cathy: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Casey Fay
@casey-fay
11 years ago
90 posts

When I saw your picture my first impression was from young adult to wise woman in a swoosh. Beautiful!!!They taught you well. Blessing to your life!

Cathy said:

Sure, here's a before and after! (sorry if they're massive)

The decision wasn't based on a single thing, and definitely wasn't a snap decision. Essentially having dreads perfectly framed a certain time in my life. That part is now over and I left like I needed to move on. Part of me is looking forward to not being defined by my hair any more but I will really miss the opportunity to change peoples ideas and preconceptions. It took several months to accept that I was even considering it and then another couple to build up to it. No regrets but then it's only really the 2nd full day without them!

updated by @casey-fay: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Cathy
@cathy
11 years ago
33 posts

Thanks Casey :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form