dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Can't get rid of GUNK! Help :(

Renee Stewart
@renee-stewart
11 years ago
19 posts

Dee,

I know this is an old posting, so I hope you see this! Because I have the pretty much exact thing happening. My personal feeling is that the white flakes that come out are soap flakes from bar soaps that got stuck in there, or possibly (yuck!) dandruff flakes? I think I have heard of that, but then they're a little big to be dandruff. Anyway, when I poke into the dread or pull it apart a bit, it is very greasy and gross. They're fairly new, I started noticing this about 3-4 months in, and now it's 5 months - pretty much no more dreads! I tried using Neutrogena clarifying shampoo; the dreads pretty much all fell out, all my hair stuck together in a huge tangle, and what was left was the really glued-together parts at the top. It's been a downhill silde since then.

I used a 'deep cleanse' of recommended baking soda, lemon juice, and a few different e.o.'s, soak them for 30 minutes, do a rinse soak in clean water for 10 min or so, then ACV rinse, another rinse. Did this TWICE, all it accomplished was to turn my hair to straw and give me a hell of a rash on my hands! (you're supposed to massage dreads & scalp in this mixture, so my hands were in it, it stained all my clothes, towels, etc., I had on or near me at the time as well! I am going to have to somehow undo the top parts that are still stuck together (unless I can find out how to get it out!) and start all over. Very, very sad:(

So if you found something that worked, PLEASE let me know! Thank you so much!

updated by @renee-stewart: 07/20/15 03:09:50PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

its dandruff or similar dandruff's almost always misdiagnosed as theres hundreds of conditions causing flaky scalps.. some cause large chunky "flakes"

do nbot use lemon juice and use the proper ratios

1 cup baking soda to 10- cups water

add teatree and rosemarylemon juice is very bad for the hair and also adding a acid to a alkaline creates a chemical reaction so your not getting the baking soda wash liquid but a separate chemical entirely

if acv was added to bs its carbonic acid

im not sure what citric acid and bs woulds creare

but something you dont want

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

and no you arent suposed to massage the scalp with it its a no touch method

but if u got a rash then you have a topical alergy to bds or whatever bs and citric acid made

the chemical reaction could podssibly have caused chemical burns?

id suggest the www.dreadlockshampoo.com shampoos

was uit nutragena anti residsue or a diferent nutragena 1 (like t gel)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Renee Stewart
@renee-stewart
11 years ago
19 posts

The deep cleanse was a tutorial from 'Lazy Dreads" who has a lot of them that seem to make good sense. I have also seen other places that adding citrus juice to the mix aids cleansing. I think I was careful about the ratio, and he said specifically to massage the scalp and dreads. I knew about the vinegar causing a reaction, but not the lemon juice.

And the shampoo was Neutrogena anti-residue, That's what made everything else fall apart and pouf up, separate, and tangle into mats! Before that I also used T-Gel due to excessive dandruff. So the goo was possibly from dandruff? I could pull white flakes out, but it gradually got stickier and stickier, spread from just a few dreads to all of them, and is a total mess. How would you prevent or deal with dandruff getting in your dreads, since it seems almost everyone gets it?

Now I am trying to take them apart, which is a real bitch. They feel literally glued together! And tons of hair is falling out with the undoing. This has been a 5-month nightmare waste of time! Hours and hours and hours of time!

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form