Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help!!! My locs are not locking as they should or are they???

Lovely Angel
@lovely-angel
11 years ago
3 posts

Ok here is my issue of sorts. I am an african american female mixed with ALOT as are most of the people of the world today. My issue is my "good hair" which to me is like a spoiled brat.... I have soft curly thick hair which is taking what seems like forever to loc up. I have read that I should be washing every three days which is unrealistic to me because my brattish hair will unravel and is frustrating trying to resection and twist back into some form so that my locs may occur. I do not use wax as I have learned it will kill my new locs and the ones that are trying to form I have adapted the TnR method/two strand twists to start my locs. I have been on my journey since 1-12-13 please see my pics. Any advice as to what I can put in my hair to "hold" some shape to my locs so that they grow out individually is GREATLY appreciated. I have washed with Baking Soda and followed with the ACV rinse which works wonders. I also use ( sparingly) a home made loc accelerator of Sea Salt, the juice of 2 Fresh Lemons, and 5-10 drops of Tea Tree Oil. HELP!!!!!! :)

updated by @lovely-angel: 01/13/15 09:52:38PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Since you started in January, you're only about half way to mature locks. They shouldn't look like much of anything at this point. And having retwisted them every time they start to unravel has most definitely delayed the process considerably. Every time you reTnR or retwist, you are setting the process back to day 1. So they won't mature at all when you keep trying to force them to.

TnR, twisting, and back combing, are all just starter methods. They do nothing to actually create locks. They just serve to create blueprints of where you want your sections to develop. From there, you just need to let them hang free as much as possible, and wash regularly. They ALWAYS untangle for the first few months. Some people see them just get looser, some see the sections come completely undone, and have straight hair again. This is normal. And it's necessary for the natural progression of dreadlocks.

Anything you put in your hair to "hold" their shape, will only delay progress even further, and can actually prevent any progress at all.

I'm sure you've heard it before, but locks take time to mature. This isn't a matter of weeks/months. Mature locks take, on average, a full year to form. I didn't see any progress for the first year, but I'm in the tiny minority. For most people, they see progress in the first few weeks, but nothing that look like locks for at least 2-4 months. Since you retwisted and TnRed over and over, you've actually set yourself backwards.

From now on, let them untangle when you shower. Don't mess with them afterwards. They will section themselves up again, I promise. And from there, knots will form and you'll see more progress in the next few weeks than you have in the past 7 months

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

1 dont use lemon 2 let them loosen wash wash wash as they loosen they tighten its part of the procress

wash 2-3 times a weelk

when they loosen..do not retwist

just leave em be

let them dread dont force it aloww it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lovely Angel
@lovely-angel
11 years ago
3 posts

Thanks SE and Baba Fats I will definately adhere to your advice. I know several people who swear by wax my husband is one uggggghhhh so damn hard headed im going to send pics of his locks they are not what I would like and can be pulled off with little effort. SMH.....

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

dont wash his pillow anymore then in a month photograph hus pillow next to yoirs if hes got 1/2 a brain that should e enough to get him to wash that crap out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lovely Angel
@lovely-angel
11 years ago
3 posts

LOL yes good idea SE I will do just that!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form