Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Will my dreads get any thicker?

Steenvick
@steenvick
12 years ago
35 posts

So I made my dreads about two weeks ago. I have very thin, nordic type of hair, and I was afraid of not getting enough dreads, so I made them quiet thin. I ended up with about 50 dreads. And I wonder, will they get any thicker with time? I really don't want them to stay this thin forever.. :/

updated by @steenvick: 02/14/15 09:26:48AM
Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

They will thicken up to about the size of the section, just give them time. :)

Steenvick
@steenvick
12 years ago
35 posts

Oh, good! thank you :)

Rainbow Fortune said:

They will thicken up to about the size of the section, just give them time. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

5o dreads is a good medium size they will thicken up

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

When they start out, they are almost always thinner than they will be when they mature. That's because the force you used (even if it wasn't much) to put them in is more thannecessaryfor hairs to tangle. That way they are compressed more than they will be once they mature. Mature locks are spongy and super flexible.

As they mature and age, they will loosen up and tighten again more naturally. They will eventually take on roughly the original size of the section. 50 locks is average. They should be a little under 1 inch sections. That's perfect

Steenvick
@steenvick
12 years ago
35 posts

Thank you so much, that helped a lot! Now I know I've done it right :)

Baba Fats said:

When they start out, they are almost always thinner than they will be when they mature. That's because the force you used (even if it wasn't much) to put them in is more thannecessaryfor hairs to tangle. That way they are compressed more than they will be once they mature. Mature locks are spongy and super flexible.

As they mature and age, they will loosen up and tighten again more naturally. They will eventually take on roughly the original size of the section. 50 locks is average. They should be a little under 1 inch sections. That's perfect

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well your page mentions maintenance but doesnt say what u do some maintenance is horible and will make them thinner and not alow them to thicken

--
Steenvick
@steenvick
12 years ago
35 posts

I only wash them atm. What will make them thin and what will make them thicken?

soaring eagle said:

well your page mentions maintenance but doesnt say what u do some maintenance is horible and will make them thinner and not alow them to thicken

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

crochet interlocking and twisting will make then m thinnest and weaken them the most

then root rubbing and pam rolling

they will thicken on their own but if you dont seperate they combine or congo into much thicker dreads

--
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Certain kinds of maintenance, like reback combing, or crocheting will keep them thin. Back combing over and over rips out more and more hairs. So it thins out the lock. Crocheting over tightens your locks. This keeps them thin and unnaturally tight.

If all you do is wash, then they will thicken up in time

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form