Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A dreadful beginning...

Jess Benham
@jess-benham
12 years ago
2 posts

I literally just got dreads, as in yesterday, and after reading up on how to maintain them believe I have made a big mistake! I got them done professionally and they crocheted them... I know, I know, bad move according to just about every article I've read. They advised me not to do anything to them for a week, which doesn't make sense to me, I want to nip this in the bud and start fixing them straight away! How should I go about this? :/

updated by @jess-benham: 01/13/15 09:31:57PM
☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
12 years ago
198 posts

I read that starting out with the crotchet method isn't as bad as using it as maintenance. I'd say just leave them alone to do what they want now. You still should wash them a few times a week (clean hair dreads better and faster than dirty hair) with a non-residue shampoo or a BS scub. They didn't use wax did they?

Jess Benham
@jess-benham
12 years ago
2 posts

Nah they didn't, cool thanks for that, I def plan on washing regularly :)

MamaKittyLove said:

I read that starting out with the crotchet method isn't as bad as using it as maintenance. I'd say just leave them alone to do what they want now. You still should wash them a few times a week (clean hair dreads better and faster than dirty hair) with a non-residue shampoo or a BS scub. They didn't use wax did they?

☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
12 years ago
198 posts

Good good! (: Congrats on starting your journey!! <3

Jess Benham said:

Nah they didn't, cool thanks for that, I def plan on washing regularly :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

They said don't do anything to them for the next week? That's the best advice. But don't just stop at the end of the week. From now on, all you want to do to them is wash them and separate any that start to congo together.

Mama's right. starting out with crocheting isn't as bad as using it on maturing locks. Using it to start out, you're not poking holes through locks that are trying to tighten. But using it on maturing locks is dangerous because you're poking holes in something that needs the structural support.

Imagine taking every 2x4 in the walls of your house and breaking them into splinters. Then put those splinters back in the wall and saying that your house is just as strong as it was before. That's what maintaining them is equal to

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

wash and seperate and if anything u want to condition them lightly with aloe to loosen up the rediculouse tightness

was wazx or anything used too?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the 1 thing u will notice however is they will get extra fuzzy from the broken hairs and they will take way longer to actualy dread right

just resist all urges to "fix them" or youll be doing more harm

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form