Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Bentonite clay

margie
@margie
12 years ago
5 posts

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has ever tried bentonite clay to wash his or her hair? I did, and I have to say I love the results I got. I have very, very oily hair, and when I started using the bs/acv wash it worked really well for me. But out here in Florida, with the humidity, it still seemed to be a little too oily, resulting in having to wash my hair far more often than I would like, even with straight hair. Also, when I tried to use a little melaleuca for my scalp, forget it!!! Did not go well! My hair was so oily I thought all my babies were going to fall out! haha

I don't like to spend a lot of money on things, which makes me a mother of invention. So I decided to add a little bentonite clay to my baking soda, made a watery paste, rubbed it into my scalp, left it on for a few minutes, then got in the shower and worked it in and rinsed it out, followed by acv rinse. I am on my third day since that, and my hair still feels soooo clean. My scalp feels great, no itchies or flakies, and my hair feels really soft.

I think I will only add the clay maybe a couple of times a month, if I feel like I need it, using straight baking soda the rest of the time.

I just wanted to share in case anyone had similar problems to mine :) By the way, just started my fourth month... Thru trial and error, and by finding this site, I am finally 100% natural... Thought about starting over but realized that my mistakes are a part of what makes me me, so I just kept on going. And it's going great now! Love!

updated by @margie: 01/13/15 09:31:43PM
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Hmm, that's interesting. I have a bentonite-based hand masque that I love. Where did you get yours to be used as an ingredient for your wash?

Also, is it hard to wash out?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the www.dreadlockshampoo.com soaps have clays in them like bentonite but also others depending on which soap u use thats why they clean soooo amazingluy well and why i wont use anything ele any more u might want to try them sometime

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Hmm... is that only in the bars (being lazy-ish at the moment since I just got back from DMV-hell.)

I can't wait to use the bars when my dreads mature. The liquid is nice but, I find myself mixing a bit into my Bronners since using it full strength really softened my hair, overly much.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i believe the clay and beer are in both liquid and bars

soft doesnt mean no knots i love how soft my dreads get but it still knots up alot after every wash

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
margie
@margie
12 years ago
5 posts
You can buy bentonite clay at the health food store. I usually keep it on hand to mix with acv for a face mask. It comes in dry, powder form. I just mixed 1 tbsp clay with one tbsp baking soda and added a little water.And yes, my hair is really knotting up now... It is really residue free. By soft, I meant it's not overly dry. It feels nice and healthy to the touch. I'm really glad I experimented with this. Can hardly wait till I'm able to play around with new products! Thanks :)
margie
@margie
12 years ago
5 posts
Oh yeah, it rinses out very easily! It doesn't take much clay at all.
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Oh, the softness feels nice but, I actually felt I was getting reverse progress from solely using the shampoos (I had been on Bronner's for a couple months and then switched. My hair had been dreading up pretty fast but after a couple washes with the shampoo whole sections were coming undone progressively until now, I have some very, very straight pieces again that only started to knot up again going back to Bronners. Must just be my hair type; Spaniards love the castile soap ;D ) I do know they have the beer in it but can't recall the clay. Will take a peak later after work.

soaring eagle said:

i believe the clay and beer are in both liquid and bars

soft doesnt mean no knots i love how soft my dreads get but it still knots up alot after every wash

Hmmm, I wonder if this would work in my Bronner's mixture? I will do a little research and, if all else fails, I can use the clay for other things. :)

margie said:

You can buy bentonite clay at the health food store. I usually keep it on hand to mix with acv for a face mask. It comes in dry, powder form. I just mixed 1 tbsp clay with one tbsp baking soda and added a little water.

And yes, my hair is really knotting up now... It is really residue free. By soft, I meant it's not overly dry. It feels nice and healthy to the touch. I'm really glad I experimented with this. Can hardly wait till I'm able to play around with new products! Thanks :)
margie
@margie
12 years ago
5 posts

yes, if you get food grade bentonite clay in the detox section of the health food store, it is a very good cleanse for the digestive tract as well!!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form