Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I Need Advice!!

Aaron Huizar
@aaron-huizar
12 years ago
2 posts

I did my dreads with the crochet hook method and they came out nice but i just got tired of using the hook and i've lost so many so i'm letting my hair grow out naturally from now on but I don't know what to do with the new hair from my roots, any ideas or suggestions please???

updated by @aaron-huizar: 01/13/15 09:31:40PM
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I'm glad you gave up on the crochet hook since it's very damaging to the hair and can, in the long run, cause dreads to fall apart from too much breakage.

From this point on, all you need to do is wash your scalp and separate to prevent congos. Some things you can expect from no longer using a crochet hook on your dreads are for there to be prickly hairs along the dread shaft from the crochet hair breakage as they loosen up a bit, loosened roots that will, over time, tighten up as they get used to not being maintained and start to dreadlock on their own (eventually your roots will go down to 1 - 1/2 of an inch but it takes patience for your locks to readjust), and as your fresh dreads grow out they will likely be thicker than the preexisting crocheted ones because hook maintenance breaks and compacts the dread to a thinner shape.

Go check out the forum for crochet recovery. There are some members that can probably give some good advice there as to what to expect, first hand, as well as give support on how to get through the transition period.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Since you lost the hooks, just leave them lost. Your hair and scalp will thank you for it.

That loose hair at the roots is what your locks actually grab hold of and use to thicken up the root and tangle with to create the lock itself. If you were to crochet that loose hair into the lock, you would be compressing it so much that your locks would end up thinner than they should, like Val said. In time the new untouched locks will be thicker than the crocheted portion. If you wanted, and I would recommend it, you could use some jojoba oil, or aloe vera and work it into your locks to help them loosen up a bit. This will allow them to "breathe" more and naturally tangle in on themselves. Then you wont have any portions that look unnaturally skinny coming out of a thicker lock.

But I think that Val pretty much get the major points. I'd also recommend you check out the recovery pages. Crochet recovery takes time. From 1 session, it can take as long as 6 months. But it is worth it. They won't come completely out, where you'd have to start over, but they should loosen up quite a bit and become softer and more spongy rather than rock hard

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

leave it alone the crochet hook is extremely damaging and a horible method that will make dreads weak damaged and ma,ke em tal]ke way way way longer to dread

its just horible

but the roots should be left alone do nothing but seperate em

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Aaron Huizar
@aaron-huizar
12 years ago
2 posts

Many thanks, just wat i needed. Jah bless!

Valrie said:

I'm glad you gave up on the crochet hook since it's very damaging to the hair and can, in the long run, cause dreads to fall apart from too much breakage.

From this point on, all you need to do is wash your scalp and separate to prevent congos. Some things you can expect from no longer using a crochet hook on your dreads are for there to be prickly hairs along the dread shaft from the crochet hair breakage as they loosen up a bit, loosened roots that will, over time, tighten up as they get used to not being maintained and start to dreadlock on their own (eventually your roots will go down to 1 - 1/2 of an inch but it takes patience for your locks to readjust), and as your fresh dreads grow out they will likely be thicker than the preexisting crocheted ones because hook maintenance breaks and compacts the dread to a thinner shape.

Go check out the forum for crochet recovery. There are some members that can probably give some good advice there as to what to expect, first hand, as well as give support on how to get through the transition period.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form