Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreads coming out....

Kit Vardy
@kit-vardy
12 years ago
11 posts

My dreads are around 5 Months old now and the new growth seems to just be growing as normal and not dreading. Also my ends are coming out about 2-3 inches and even when I re-brush them in, a week or so there coming loose again.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

updated by @kit-vardy: 01/13/15 09:31:35PM
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

You ONLY backcombed, correct? I only ask because I know that sometimes when other maintenance is used that it takes a while for the dreads to re-loosen and then grow out dreaded.

Have you made any changes to your routine, such as changing shampoo? Do you wear hats or ponytails often? What is your cleaning/drying maintenance like?

If you can give some explicit details on your hair over the past few months we may be able to narrow down the issue, if there is one.

ALSO: Re-backcombing will ALWAYS come out. Let your tips stay loose and they will eventually do their own thing. Re-backcombing the tips will only reset it back to day 0 or backcombing.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

top re-brushuing them in yoir only resetting the progres to 1 day old everytime u do

the roots and tips are suposed to be loose for many months..if yoir lucky the tips will stay loose forwver cause blunt tips hold in water loose tips let it drain out the difference in drying time can be 8 -48 hoirs!!

just leave em alone let them dread and be patient

]\

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kit Vardy
@kit-vardy
12 years ago
11 posts

its just backcombed in yes, I do wear tams and tie them back when there in the way but 90 per cent of the time there just left loose

Valrie said:

You ONLY backcombed, correct? I only ask because I know that sometimes when other maintenance is used that it takes a while for the dreads to re-loosen and then grow out dreaded.

Have you made any changes to your routine, such as changing shampoo? Do you wear hats or ponytails often? What is your cleaning/drying maintenance like?

If you can give some explicit details on your hair over the past few months we may be able to narrow down the issue, if there is one.

ALSO: Re-backcombing will ALWAYS come out. Let your tips stay loose and they will eventually do their own thing. Re-backcombing the tips will only reset it back to day 0 or backcombing.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Then I'm guessing that the looseness is natural looseness that occurs with dreading. I'm at 3.5 months and my roots range from .5 - 3" loose and the tips of most of my dreads are loose for about 2 - 3" as well (some have blunted themselves and, SE is correct that these ones take faaaar longer to dry than the others.)

Does it seem like they are absolutely coming apart? Like, previously did they look like they were progressing well and then suddenly they started to regress?

Kit Vardy said:

its just backcombed in yes, I do wear tams and tie them back when there in the way but 90 per cent of the time there just left loose

Kit Vardy
@kit-vardy
12 years ago
11 posts

its just a case of alot of loose hair and the longer time goes on the more hair is coming lose. obviously ive had the mrs sorting them out for me so there being rebrushed in but its just the tips and the root growth thats not dreading. some have stayed nice and together, others are fraying.

Valrie said:

Then I'm guessing that the looseness is natural looseness that occurs with dreading. I'm at 3.5 months and my roots range from .5 - 3" loose and the tips of most of my dreads are loose for about 2 - 3" as well (some have blunted themselves and, SE is correct that these ones take faaaar longer to dry than the others.)

Does it seem like they are absolutely coming apart? Like, previously did they look like they were progressing well and then suddenly they started to regress?

Kit Vardy said:

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form