dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Naturally occurring dreadlocks a concept difficult to grasp

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Ouch. That's a painful image.

I just got into a conversation the other day with a indian kid at school about my locks. He loved them and asked how I did them. When I explained that I just stopped brushing, he said he didn't believe me. It was kind of funny. He wasn't defensive about it. He just never had long hair and never knew what it was like to have to comb knots out

updated by @baba-fats: 07/19/15 03:00:55PM
Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

I hated combing out tangles in my hair. I really wasn't a very dedicated brush user.

It's amazing how many people want to touch my hair. My dreads are the first natural set they've ever encountered and it's completely amazing how different they look from manicured ones.

I stupidly let someone smell them after they asked. I had just washed my hair earlier that day and since I use peppermint they smell so good! He like followed me around my bar as I was working wanting another whiff...crazy psycho!

amethyst777
@amethyst777
12 years ago
95 posts

I do get what you're saying. I just wanted to tell you. I'm from the south, but I drove a truck all over the country for 6+ years. Because I always heard the "dumb southerners" line, I was actually looking forward to seeing just what it was like "up north".

In all honesty, there is no difference at all. Usually (but not always) people that live and / or work in the bigger cities are more open about things. Country people and rednecks are the same both up "north" and down here in the "south". Ignorance doesn't know where the Mason Dixon is LOL!

I don't mean this comment in an arguementative or defensive way at all. Please don't take it that way. It's just that I was really let down to find that everything was the same. Snow was the only difference I saw in the winter time, and I hated it.

Peace my friend :) <3

Baba Fats said:

What's in north carolina ? I don't think I'd ever be caught dead in the south. Too much ignorance going on there.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I didn't mean that as an insult to the entire south in general. I live in Pa. That's pretty far north, and has Philly (where I live), which is very open minded. And yet, we are still called Pennsyltuky because of the hicks and redneck out west. I mean that I wouldn't be caught dead in the south, more so,becausethere is a bit more open land out there. That is where the ignorance is. Just like I would be caught dead in western Pa.

I know that cities in the south are great. I would visit big cities. I went to La last year and spent a little while in New Orleans. It was great. I'd go to Atlanta too. And as bad as the sticks are in Texas, They actually have some of the best environmental laws in the states. I'd want to visit a few cities there.

People are people. No matter where you go.

Mariah Chan
@mariah-chan
12 years ago
3 posts

I think people just have very restricted stereotypes of people who have dreadlocks (e.g. jamaicans, hippies), so they find it weird to see someone who has dreads but doesn't fit into this stereotype

Autumn2
@autumn2
12 years ago
18 posts

Yes, super interesting. I think that more than just the looks, the actual idea of letting a process happen naturally on its own, without human intervention and scheming, is what super drew me in to the idea of neglect or freeform method of dreads. I am into minimalism also, and it is very much about what we don't do or don't have as much as it is about what we do or what we do have. And I think that our consumer culture has a very hard time understanding this.

amethyst777
@amethyst777
12 years ago
95 posts

I completely agree! Believe me when I say I wasn't insulted at all... I grew up in Arkansas, I had to get thick skin pretty early on :) People love to pick on "The Natural State" :). And although I said I hated the snow, I hate the heat down here equally :)

Baba Fats said:

I didn't mean that as an insult to the entire south in general. I live in Pa. That's pretty far north, and has Philly (where I live), which is very open minded. And yet, we are still called Pennsyltuky because of the hicks and redneck out west. I mean that I wouldn't be caught dead in the south, more so,becausethere is a bit more open land out there. That is where the ignorance is. Just like I would be caught dead in western Pa.

I know that cities in the south are great. I would visit big cities. I went to La last year and spent a little while in New Orleans. It was great. I'd go to Atlanta too. And as bad as the sticks are in Texas, They actually have some of the best environmental laws in the states. I'd want to visit a few cities there.

People are people. No matter where you go.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

How can you hate snow? Or do you just hate driving in it? I hate driving in it too. But It's so pretty. And it looks so pure to wake up early in the morning before they plow it.

amethyst777
@amethyst777
12 years ago
95 posts

Well... I was a truck driver from the south... LOL! The first time I got in snow I was terrified. But I got over it. Yeah, so it was just driving in it that I didn't enjoy. When we get snow down here, everybody goes crazy. Crashes all the cars, and buy out all the grocery stores. It's so silly, cause it never lasts more than a day or two. No need for all that drama.. haha ! Yes it is pretty..

Baba Fats said:

How can you hate snow? Or do you just hate driving in it? I hate driving in it too. But It's so pretty. And it looks so pure to wake up early in the morning before they plow it.

amethyst777
@amethyst777
12 years ago
95 posts

I never saw a snow plow in my life till I was in my 30's... and in AR where I was raised, we didn't really get snow it was ice.. You can't drive on ice. If you add ice and pine trees, you have disaster! No electric for weeks... ice storms are the worst!

amethyst777 said:

Well... I was a truck driver from the south... LOL! The first time I got in snow I was terrified. But I got over it. Yeah, so it was just driving in it that I didn't enjoy. When we get snow down here, everybody goes crazy. Crashes all the cars, and buy out all the grocery stores. It's so silly, cause it never lasts more than a day or two. No need for all that drama.. haha ! Yes it is pretty..

Baba Fats said:

/ 9

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form