I also have noticed a mildew smell but only when my hair becomes slightly wet. It was worse about 4-5 months ago but started using regular shampoo again but I dilute it. I have a plastic bowl in the bathroom that I put small squeeze of shampoo in (oh about the size of a quarter) and then fill the bowl with water. I mix this around so its soapy suds and then pour that over my dreads and massage scalp. I'd have to say it helped 90% buthasn'tcured itcompletelybecause I can still get a hint of it when my hair becomes slightly wet. Next solution for me might be a mild bleach solution. I stress the mild aspect. Maybe one teaspoon per gallon or even less. Objective here is to kill mold spores. And might even go a different route than the bleach just depends. But I'll look to science as to what mold hates. Will report back once I learn about mold spores (the enemy) and decide on the most most natural approach toeliminatethem.