Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What are length recommendations based on?

David E Glazai
@david-e-glazai
14 years ago
23 posts

yo I also hav african hair type and I started my journey after 5 months and 1 week of growth (I washed once a week with apple cider vinegar to better prepare my hair for the natural process and my hair was 3 inches long when I started). To better cope with the process and have it more manicured like u said I used the towel-rub method (essentially rubbin gently through my hair with a small dark color towel for bout 10-15 mins every morning). my hair began lockin in within a couple weeks (not perfectly but they started separating into the desired sections) I really didn't even use the towel-rub for long bcuz all it helped me do is control my section and wut I recommend to u is to do the same if you want to have more presentable sections to your hair during the early stage, i don't wanna write too much but pm me if u wanna kno more

but here r some pics to help u see wut I mean

1st pic is me 3 days after satrting the process (0ct 23rd 2010)

2nd pic is me 10 days after stating the process (nov 1 2010)

3rd pic is me on dec 11th 2010 (4 days ago)

updated by @david-e-glazai: 07/03/15 06:49:53AM
David E Glazai
@david-e-glazai
14 years ago
23 posts

David E Glazai said:

yo I also hav african hair type and I started my journey after 5 months and 1 week of growth (I washed once a week with apple cider vinegar to better prepare my hair for the natural process and my hair was 3 inches long when I started). To better cope with the process and have it more manicured like u said I used the towel-rub method (essentially rubbin gently through my hair with a small dark color towel for bout 10-15 mins every morning). my hair began lockin in within a couple weeks (not perfectly but they started separating into the desired sections) I really didn't even use the towel-rub for long bcuz all it helped me do is control my section and wut I recommend to u is to do the same if you want to have more presentable sections to your hair during the early stage, i don't wanna write too much but pm me if u wanna kno more

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

the wool rub methods not a bad idea but u can overdo it and it can cause a general knottiness without sectioning which then eeds to be ripped into sectioned dreads odviosly for yu that didnt happen but sometimes can

but even if it does it kick starts thye procrssm very well and if u do gotta rip it into sections after creating some knottiness thats fine

the 1st tu=ime just dont do too much till u see what it does so u arent ripping apart a great big knotted mess

just sleeping on a wool pillowcase tho does pretty much the same thing as u sleep

David E Glazai said:

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
David E Glazai
@david-e-glazai
14 years ago
23 posts

I pretty much stopped the towel rub within a couple of weeks and started sectioning myself I found it to be easier to just to it myself and its goin great

Michelle Johnson
@michelle-johnson
14 years ago
5 posts
Thanks for all of the suggestions!
Matt gribble
@matt-gribble
14 years ago
2 posts
you can do the towle/brush rub method. works really well from what have seen. its also known as the wool or clockwise rubbing i think...but if you have pretty curly or nappy african like hair then its best to use a micro fiber cloth. like what you can buy at walmart or other stores in the area where they sell car and car washing materials. go to youtube and lookup dreadlocks brush/towel rub method and there are a few on there. look for Apennie 1, and jaytiff2020 they both started this way. Apennie has long ones and jaytiff has short ones still.lots of info in their vids.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

the probl4em with that method is it creates just a general knottiness a birdsnesst knottinerss that then needs to be ripped apart into sections instead of just allowing the sections to form and then dread

it works ..somewhat but its not a great methiod at all

if tyour gonna go that route u might as well just go natural and wear a wool tam

--
Matt gribble
@matt-gribble
14 years ago
2 posts
I think it just depends on how textured your hair is i guess. Im african american with real nappy hair. so with it being naturally nappy and notty the towel rub actually sections it off into nice sections. i have realy short hair though. likeabout 1inch (about 1 month 1/2 of groth)and everyone i have seen that started theirs like this had very short hair too. it seems to keep working once thier hair has already been twisted but i can see where it would just be a problem if the hair was longer alreadyor somewhat straitwhen you start to use it.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

african hair will dread at almost any length and usualy starter methods are pointless combpletely cause it dreads so ez but u can just finger twist it into sections and let it dread from there or just leave it dread and then section it as it starts tio dread there really is no trick to dreading your hair but theres several things to avoind ofcourse..the brush rub ive seen get it going good..the thing to remember isd u just wanna get it a lil started then stop messing with it anfd let it dread from there

--

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form