Dreadlocks Forums

loops lumps kinks and zig zags in dreadlocks

mary jo bayliss
@mary-jo-bayliss
10 years ago
4 posts

That's because it's true :-D
soaring eagle said:

i swear "im so glad i found this site" is gotta be the most common thing posted here lol

Tyler Gidney
@tyler-gidney
10 years ago
1 posts

Here are my knotty, lumpy babies...

And that's my fiance. This is one of our engagement pics.

updated by @tyler-gidney: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Psybin
@psybin
10 years ago
32 posts

I'm glad this thread is still alive! I read through it all and wish there were more posts. ;p I'm at one month now and I'm starting to get loops. One of my dreads that got a loop last week now has two! xD It's starting to look like it could form into an aum symbol. I hope so.

I'm also worried about losing so much length. I love long hair too. When I started last month, my hair was (and still is so far) about halfway down my back. I hope I don't lose more than half length and it stays at least at or below my shoulders.

Karen Guy
@karen-guy
10 years ago
36 posts
Welcome to the ride. I do understand the worry of length lost and I will share my photo with you not to discourage but for you to know that if shrinkage happens you will survive and you will still love your locs. I am at 1yr now and to say I had a lot of shrinkage is an understatement. I too was worried about shrinkage and have had long hair for most of my life, but was so afraid of short hair that I did not let my hair dread for over 20yr. and when I finally let go I now hair very short dreads, but think if I had let it dread 20 yrs ago? My dread dreads would be so long. Just enjoy the journey and let your hair do what it will. Peace
Karen Guy
@karen-guy
10 years ago
36 posts

Eric Organiscak said:

I'm glad this thread is still alive! I read through it all and wish there were more posts. ;p I'm at one month now and I'm starting to get loops. One of my dreads that got a loop last week now has two! xD It's starting to look like it could form into an aum symbol. I hope so.

I'm also worried about losing so much length. I love long hair too. When I started last month, my hair was (and still is so far) about halfway down my back. I hope I don't lose more than half length and it stays at least at or below my shoulders.

Nichole3
@nichole3
10 years ago
12 posts

I love the lumps and I have a whole head of craziness! I like it! The more zigs and zags, the better. Each one is so unique :)

updated by @nichole3: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Arkynstone GypsyFae
@arkynstone-gypsyfae
10 years ago
37 posts

I was just going to post about how mine are coming because I have so much of this happening. My dreads are now 9 months old. :) I have all kinds of babies finding their groove - kinky ones, loopy ones, straight cylindrical ones. and the majority have medallions on the bottoms with thin wispy tails.

At first I was a little unnerved by the medallions. I wasn't upset or hating on them, I was just curious and not sure what to make of them. After reading up on various threads and sites, I found that I tended to agree with the idea that the medallions are just another feature that adds character and uniqueness to my baby dreads and I've actually come to love them a lot, and I like to think that they are good luck charms of sorts. :)

My favorites are the ones that have all the kinks to them, and the ones that form 'elf knots' (think Elrond of Rivendell from Lord of the Rings and his ultra-cool loopy knots in the front sections of hair that frame his face). Many of my elf knots have since tightened up to form small medallions, but I still think they were (and are) awesome. :D

Oddly, I still have two sections of hair - one on either side of my head and almost in the exact same position - that refuse to knot as of yet and are silky and straight. My husband is constantly commenting on how cool he thinks it looks that 90-95% of my hair has formed dreads in varying stages of development and these two sections are there being all "Nope...not gonna knot up... don't wanna". LOL I love that he's so supportive and is enjoying watching the journey progress.

So, thank you for posting this. Hopefully it will help others be more comfortable with the multitude of variations and crazy things the baby dreads do to themselves. Love your babies! No two are identical, and (in my opinion) that's how it should be! It's one of the best ways to be uniquely you!

Here are some pics - I'll post all of them to my gallery in a few minutes.

Arkynstone GypsyFae
@arkynstone-gypsyfae
10 years ago
37 posts

Sweet! They're so beautiful!

Nichole said:

I love the lumps and I have a whole head of craziness! I like it! The more zigs and zags, the better. Each one is so unique :)

updated by @arkynstone-gypsyfae: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

damn nichole

those are some sexy dreadies u got..wow

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/22/15 07:04:15AM
Nichole3
@nichole3
10 years ago
12 posts

Ha! Thanks! Im loving them more and more everyday! Its seems they got really loopy in a blink of an eye... My friend says I have curly dreads lol. Theyre cute. If I didnt have the zigs and zags it wouldnt be fun!

soaring eagle said:

damn nichole

those are some sexy dreadies u got..wow

/ 13

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form