Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

newbie after some advice

FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts

Well NZ is the complete opposite side of the planet. 

Most people on here seem to be from the US and don't use the word mate so when I see it it stands out. It's a pretty common word over here.

With the hair though honestly just do whatever you want to do. The average person wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

well im not average and can spot 1 crochet use 3 years later (typically but not always) 

to start over just to tnr..i'd say no. either tnr or crochet will take time to read  and either will dread and be fine

if you were going to start over the only reason id rcommend it is if you felt strongly about going the natural route

in your research how often did you hear people saying just stop combing and it would dread?

thats the problem. nobody is aware that dreads are the natural state of hair, or that this is what happens from just camping a few weeks

rainbow08wyoming103.JPG.jpg they don't tell you that stuff like tnr, or crochet is unnecessary entirely. nor do they tell you how rewarding it is to simply let it dread. they don't tell you how you might feel like you cheated by using a starter method

they do demonize the natural method though claiming it looks horrible for years, claiming that you wont see dreads for 4 years, and claim they are "shitlocks"

they push more aggressive methods that require "pro" maintenance and "installation"

they don't want you to be aware of free and easy methods, and especially don't want you to know that dreads require nothing at all

I have never done a thing to mine

now.. why i say that starting over  should only be considered if you want to go natural:

the crochet damage is already done combing out will only add more (slightly)

tnr or crochet 4 years from now will look very similar

the main reason to start over isn't cause you choose the wrong starter method but cause you choose a starter method at all

so, your choice is between starting over (and letting it go)

or

continuing on with or without maintenance (without is the only choice to make)

we call that "natural surrender' starting off with an unnatural method then surrendering to the natural process

no i would not try tightening anything for now

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

any updates on your recovery efforts?

--
whisky sour
@whisky-sour
6 years ago
16 posts

probably more questions than updates. i have chosen to do nothing really. having to maintain dreads seems to defeat the purpose so just let them be. i bought some knotty boy shampoo, not cos of the name just it was the closest available dread shampoo and wash twice a week. trying some sea salt spray on the ends so they hopefully knot up but other than that nothing. ive gone from them being tight to the roots to now having and inch of play so i guess they have grown out a bit over the last 5-6 weeks. i guess i just leave them alone right? the dreads themselves must be loosening up cos all the little hard to notice kinks and bumps they had at first are now alot bigger. its all cool i do like them, you can start to notice the undreaded bit before the dread now,  i just guess its part of an ugly phase and this is where patience is required. thanks for asking and any advice is always appreciated.

cheers

whisky sour
@whisky-sour
6 years ago
16 posts

one more thing i was chatting to the lady that did them and she was demanding i must come back for a maintenance in 3 months, its crucial she said. why would that be? i said no anyway.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

greedy isn't she?  crucial to what? the 750,000  dollar house she put a down payment on?

dreds should have up to 3 inches loose at the roots, for many months, they tighten up to 1/2 an inch when mature, and never should be much tighter then that

knottyboy should be boycotted..too late now, but in the future, find an alternative with better ethics

you shouldn't worry about the ends locking, its better if they dont

blunted ends hold water in staying soggy 5 times longer then dreads with loose ends

loose ends let water drain right out

--

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form