dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My story with new dreads and advise

Maela
@maela
9 years ago
16 posts

Hi,

I'm from Quebec, Canada and my english is not my main language so I'm sorry about any mistakes. I'm currently 39 and I have always wanted long hair but never had the patience to make them grow. I did all sort of things with my hair (bleach, color, breads..) over the years. My latest decision was to have dreads with extensions (natural hair) so they could be long.  I went in a salon and paid over a 1000$ for 20 hours work on my head. The worst thing is that 2/3 of my head was done after all this money and time.  I decided I couldn't pay more so I shaved the back of my head. It makes a nice look but it not what I wanted.  Anyways, after a couple of day, lot of little hair were coming out along the dreads, so I tried to put it in with a crochet. The next day I realise, the hair was coming out again so I want on the web and found forums were they said that the crochet was not too good for the dreads, so I let that aside.  My next step was wax. I went again on the web for advise and I found this site. Thank you for existing!  I realise I was doing it all wrong! I think this experience is making me realise that I was always in a hurry to change my looks thiking that I would be more pretty. It's like I always want someting else and never liking what I have in the moment.  I have to learn to love myself as I am in the present.  Anyways, enough with the philosophy ;)  So, now I have different option and I would like any advise.  My current dreads are pretty tight along the dreads, not too much at the root. The guy who did it back combed and used a crochet and put extension mixted with my real hair. My real lengh was at my shoulder, with the extension, they come to more then the middle of my back.

Here are my options :

1. I let grow my hair and with the new hair, I start new dreads and eventually cut off the sort fake one with extension

2. I try to take off the dreads I have now and start again with my hair even if the are short ( I'm not sure about that option, I'm afraid it will destroy more my hair)

3. I shave my head, wait for my hair to grow and start new dreads

Feel free to give any advise or experience you have had.  But I know I made a bad decision so spare me of any comment on that please :)

Thank you

20150706_141755[1].jpg

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

well get wax b gone 1st off and remove the wax

you can continue on from here  and remove the extentions at any time, or you can very carefully comb them out and let them dread natually

its a shame you shaved the back as that wiould have dreaded naturally and faster then the crochetted parts

i wouldnt shave and start over as they will take a full year to get long enough to even start to dread so if u start over  gently and slowly comb them out

but

as long as you remove the wax they will be ok ..ish  ok enough to recover and be fine

the real tight spotsyou will want to loosen but its possible that reemoving the waxwill help with that

and you ciuldnt possibly be prettier so let your fdreads be wild and free and stop worrying about being pretty and just be happy

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Maela
@maela
9 years ago
16 posts

I didn't use the wax!  I was going on the web for advise before doing anything and I found this site.  So thats a good thing :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

whew send it back get a refund

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form