Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

why dreadlocks?

Colly
@colly
11 years ago
5 posts
Hello and goodmorning <3 So im pree much just wondering what inspired you all to get"dread"locks. And is there any inspiration from the caribbean? peace out.
updated by @colly: 01/13/15 09:59:42PM
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

I've always loved dreads, but never bothered nor even considered having dreads myself. Then I started listening to reggae more (I'd never been much of a fan until a couple of years ago), and so of course I was seeing more of dreads, so thought, "What if I had dreads?" and looked into it and decided it's what I wanted. It was 90% shallow, physical, just about the hairstyle itself. But part of it was because I was, and still am, suffering from long-term health issues. It took away so many aspects of control in my life, and I felt like deciding to dread would be the one thing I'd be able to control, that my sickness wouldn't take away from me.

Colly
@colly
11 years ago
5 posts
Heeey thanks for the reply :D cant really remember what made me decide to finally go through with dreading but one thing is for sure is that dreads made me feel way much better i hope your dreading journey has been everything you have hoped for and have some what gave you strength. Reggae is good for the mind,its kept my head above water a few times peace and love
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

well yes and no

it was the 80s with punks everywhere with jello or glue in thier hair sand mohawks everywhere

and anger..angry at everyone and everything and 'f___ you" instead of hello being the typical greeting usually followed by 15 skinheads stomping on your head with steel toed boots instead of a how are you

at that time id gotten to know alot of rastas whod greet you with "respect" or "one love" way diferent from the angry screams of punks with bashed in skulls.

we ran several soup kitchens (with entertaiment more like a coffeehouse or dinner theater) as well as i took food out on the streets i also was living in an artists community awhile so always meeting rasta poets painters and musicians

one day asked apollo 'how do u get your hair like that' he said lose de comb

so i did and soon had mega congos a beavertail in back 2 horns on top

few months later some friends took me to my 1st rainbow gathering

We Love You from Jonathan Kalafer on Vimeo .

and there were so many dreds so mych possitivity it really influenced me

i did cut that set off (damn parents pressure ) ..was miserable for the next year till i started this set that im keeping for life

although it was jamaican rastas that gave me the original thought, it wasnt coribean colture exctly but just a possitive influence in a negative world

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Colly
@colly
11 years ago
5 posts
Well for whatever reasons you all may have....love your locks <3
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form