Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

An unusual method?

Patrick4
@patrick4
11 years ago
6 posts

Hey all! I'm new here. First just a little background, I've been growing my hair out for the past five years, and ever since it first hit my shoulders, I've been told here and there I should get dreads. Never really took the advice to heart until now, and I think I'm going to give freeforms a try, but I got some interesting advice that I have never heard before.

A friend of mine said that there's another way of getting dreadlocks where you basically let them form freely, but in addition to standard natural dreading procedures, you keep a wet bandanna over it throughout the day every day for a couple weeks, and by the end you should have fairly well formed dreads. Also, he mentioned running your fingers through your hair in the shower to help separate them into locks. I have never heard of this method before, and with experience as to what my hair does at the end of a day when I've had it under a bandanna, I'm interested in trying it. Has anyone else heard of this before? Is it a bad idea?

updated by @patrick4: 01/13/15 09:58:09PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

haha what?

running fingers through it in the shower will prevent dreading its the same as combing

and a wet bandana over your head all day every day will make even undreaded hair grow mildew and mold

im guessing he didnt have dreads?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Patrick4
@patrick4
11 years ago
6 posts

No, far from it... I was wondering about the potential for mold. I'm not sure who he got the idea from, but it sounded like it could be either really good, or really bad. Thanks for the reply!

soaring eagle said:

haha what?

running fingers through it in the shower will prevent dreading its the same as combing

and a wet bandana over your head all day every day will make even undreaded hair grow mildew and mold

im guessing he didnt have dreads?

jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
11 years ago
175 posts

well moist anything on ur hair all time isnt good lol and if u ran ur fingers through ur hairs as u described it would essentially remove whatever dreading might be happening lol definitely wont encourage knots to form. some weird incorrect advise u got there brother.

to form natural freeform neglect wat u might call them dreadlocks method

u cant brush hair in any way not finger brush ither

to separate knots apart in sections u pull em apart from each other wen wet after knots form lol

wash with good non residue soap and or bs wash an wen dreads form can use avc soak wash

just leave em alone and they will form dont scrub hair wen washing ither :) goodluck

have awesome journey

CoriElaine
@corielaine
11 years ago
173 posts

Its funny how people who dont have dreads, think they know everything about dreads xD LOL. At first I thought that said a wet banana and was confused ahaha. Soaring eagle and ms jazzymomma are completely correct. ^^ :)

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Nooooo, you do NOT want to keep something wet on your hair all day, no way.

As for running fingers through hair, let's look at it this way: I combed out a few dreads a year and a half ago. I kept running my fingers through them out of habit. The result? A year and a half later and still no dreads, hardly even any knots, just sectioning. I stopped doing it and they're knotting up very slowly, so basically...no lol don't take any of this advice.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form