dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Where to make dreads in Bangkok?

Blau Kraut
@blau-kraut
11 years ago
3 posts

Hi folks :)

Last year I decided to let my hair dreaded and since me and my friends will travel to Thailand next week, I want to have them dreaded in Bangkok. I heard that they are pretty good in dreading. My question is: Can anybody recommend a specific loctician in Bangkok, meaning that you know he does a good job and not only wants your money?

Unfortunately my hair is only 18 cm long by now so he/she should be able to make dread extensions too. I want a look like Ande Cunningham .

Thanks,

Alex

updated by @blau-kraut: 02/14/15 03:40:47AM
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

I'm pretty sure Bangkok will 'make' dreads using the crochet method, which is bad. Don't go to any salon or loctician, it's a complete waste of money. Any methods/products used will more than likely be bad for dreading, because people, even locticians, are full of bad ideas and information regarding dreads.

Let your hair dread on its own, or find a video tutorial on YouTube about the twist and rip method; get some friends to help you, and then leave them to dread, and just wash them often, that's how they'll dread, and it's completely free and harmless :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

locticians are the worse mistake ypou can make and the bangkock method is the worse of the worse

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

all youi need to dread is to stop combing or twist n rip but do it yourself never go anywhere near a loctician they destroy dreads and getting crochet done just once delays priogress by 6 months

--
Blau Kraut
@blau-kraut
11 years ago
3 posts

Thanks for your replys!

But none of you explained why this crochet/backcombing method is so bad. This guy here used this method and I really love the result:

Crochet:

after 3 Months:

after 8 months:

Also concerning letting my hear dread on its own: I have read that this takes many months or a year until dreads with this method look good. The above guys dreads look good already after 3 months. I do not want to look weird for so many months.

So why is this method so bad?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

it does extreme harm breaking hairs by the thousands ansd makming them weak and damaged 'it if used only 1 time delays progress by 6 months 'it takes years to recover from 1 use

natural dreads will dread faster

weaving and crocheting isnt dreading they must n-=be left alone to dread

and crochet makes them way way too tight to dread

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

look at 3 and 8 months they k]no longer move they no longer progress

they will take over a year to recover and even begin to dread

at 1 month they were progressing perfectly fine b4 he crochetted

after that they stopped completel;y

and now are very damaged

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

these are mine

all natural

they dreaded up in 2 weeks flat (most a couple took a month or so cause it was shoe=rt)

no damage at all

crochet dreads can get so weak they fall off from a hard shower or divung in a pool

and they take way longer to dread..way longer

and

they are so stiff and scratchy

they feel like brillo because all the broken hairs pop out making them rough to the touch

plus they look fake never really looking like real dreads (well if only done once and very minimaly and gently and not tight at all after a couple years recovery they can lose that harsh fake crochet look)

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Sunflower
@sunflower
11 years ago
95 posts

dude I honestly wouldnt do it thailand... I went last year and had them just do a hair wrap, when I wanted to take it out I found out why I couldnt so easily - they put GLUE in my hair under the string so it wont come off... thats just how Thai's are, its nothing bad but I really wouldnt trust them with dreads. Also there is a peak season of insects right now, not sure about you but for me glue+insects isnt something too appealing for me. Have fun there though! if you have a chance go to koh samui, its beautiful

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Crochet dreads may look good to you, but they won't last long because eventually they'll thin, weaken and break off. If you want temporary dreads, get fake ones so your hair won't get damaged. If you want long-lasting, healthy dreads, this isn't the way to go about it.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form