dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Seperation

Shayla Waychoff
@shayla-waychoff
11 years ago
33 posts

Hi there!

I'm fairly new the dread life, just starting out. My hair reminded me of something this morning that I had forgotten. I have a large chunk of hair on the top-back of my head that becomes extremely matted and tangled if I go even a day without at least combing my fingers through it.

I'm trying to keep it separated for the most part but it's rather difficult. I'm going about my dreads the natural way but I'm wondering if I could use elastics during this first little beginning to keep my hair separated? Kind of give it a little boost?

updated by @shayla-waychoff: 01/13/15 09:55:54PM
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Good morning Shayla :) Elastics break hair. Even if you just use it for a day or two it is gonna cause some damage. Long term use ..they get tangled in the dread and dry rot. Try tying some hemp thread around it. As it starts to knot up adding a bead works well. Just make sure the bead gets moved every once in a while. I have a small pewter bead stuck in the middle of one of my dreads. My hair knotted and became fatter above and below it.

Shayla Waychoff
@shayla-waychoff
11 years ago
33 posts

Thanks! I'll look into the hemp thread. :) It's only been a couple of days, and already the back of my head is just matting into one large baseball sized knot. Not dready at all! I'll try and separate the problem areas, encourage them a bit with the thread or beads! :)

taye said:

Good morning Shayla :) Elastics break hair. Even if you just use it for a day or two it is gonna cause some damage. Long term use ..they get tangled in the dread and dry rot. Try tying some hemp thread around it. As it starts to knot up adding a bead works well. Just make sure the bead gets moved every once in a while. I have a small pewter bead stuck in the middle of one of my dreads. My hair knotted and became fatter above and below it.

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Remember matts are knots too. Sounds like your hair is gonna dread quickly!

Shayla Waychoff
@shayla-waychoff
11 years ago
33 posts

That would be nice! Aha. :)

I'll see what it does for a while before I try and mess with it. I don't want to tamper with nature too much! Here's a picture of the back of my head: Might be a bit hard to see though!

taye said:

Remember matts are knots too. Sounds like your hair is gonna dread quickly!

updated by @shayla-waychoff: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Shayla Waychoff
@shayla-waychoff
11 years ago
33 posts

^_^ Thank you!

Heidi said:

I LOVE this pic! ^^ It's funny because before I began my natural journey (and before I found this forum) I really admired the look of very maintained, artificial locs. Now that I understand locs a bit more, the messier the better! Your hair looks fabulous and I like the shaved sides, too. :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form