Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

To dread or not to dread..this is the question

Jessica2
@jessica2
13 years ago
2 posts

So I love dreads. I really do. I want them so badly. My hair is very long right now but dyed black and I have short bangs. I'm trying to grow them out and will probably end up bleaching my hair and dying it close to my natural color. So after all that is done I would love to get dreads.

Here is the problem. My husband doesn't like them and pretty much everyone I talk to thinks they are gross. I don't care what everyone thinks but obviously I care what my husband thinks. I really think if he could actually see them or be around someone who has them he wouldn't feel so strongly against them. But I live in a teeny tiny town in Arkansas and people are super nosy and judgmental. Plus I have an almost teenage daughter to think about. Would I embarrass her by doing this? Does it matter? Would it make her more open minded and possible encourage her to do the same when she's older? I'm pretty sure she would think it was cool until one of her friends said something bad about me.

I love love love dreads. I want them so badly. But I don't want my own husband to think I'm gross. What do you all think? Dread or no....

updated by @jessica2: 01/13/15 09:00:40PM
Susanne Gorman
@susanne-gorman
13 years ago
19 posts

Hello Jessica:) Show your husband some of the beautiful natural locks on this site and you could turn him right around. There are so many lovelies on here! You must be true to yourself....it could be part of your work to open people's minds about dreads where you live. Usually when people think dreads are gross it's because they do not have accurate info about them or have only seen nasty waxy ones.

As far as your daughter goes I feel that seeing her mother stay true to what she wants in her life is a beautiful example.....sure you may have some uncomfortable comments come up from people who don't know better, but none of that matters.....be yourself...educate your family on natural locks and enjoy:)

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
I agree with Susanne. I started my dreads 10 mos. ago and when I first mentioned it I heard an overwhelming amount of "Don't do it!" from people. I have 3 daughters (15,14 and 12) and as I began to educate them about dreads they began to be excited and involved in the process...and giving me alot of support. I know we do live in Cali, which is way different than Arkansas (that is where my family is from!)...but, we live in a little suburb of Los Angeles where people can be judgemental. My kids friends...especially the oldest daughters friends say, "Your mom is so cool...wish my parents liked stuff like that!" And my husband said the most amazing thing..." I never thought about dreads...but, if they are on you...how could they not be sexy?" Go for it!!! I wish you a happy journey <3

Susanne Gorman said:

Hello Jessica:) Show your husband some of the beautiful natural locks on this site and you could turn him right around. There are so many lovelies on here! You must be true to yourself....it could be part of your work to open people's minds about dreads where you live. Usually when people think dreads are gross it's because they do not have accurate info about them or have only seen nasty waxy ones.

As far as your daughter goes I feel that seeing her mother stay true to what she wants in her life is a beautiful example.....sure you may have some uncomfortable comments come up from people who don't know better, but none of that matters.....be yourself...educate your family on natural locks and enjoy:)

Jessica2
@jessica2
13 years ago
2 posts
Thank you all so much! I think I will make him look at some of the beautiful pictures of the ladies on here and how could he not like them! :) I guess I really just needed someone else to let me know that it's ok to do what I want to do. So many times you hear people say you should do this or that for this or that reason and you just deal with it because it's easier. But I think I am going to do what I want to do for once. And to hell with what people say! And I do think this is a great opportunity to educate the people around me. Thank you all so much.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form