Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello.

Diego
@diego
11 years ago
16 posts

Hello, my name is Diego, I'm 20 years old and I am from Uruguay. I've been reading this forum because I wanted to learn as much as possible before growing my dreads. After reading a lot, I've decided I'll go with the twist and rip method, since it seems to be the less damaging (except for natural) and because I want to have control on the outcome. I want my dreads to look as similar as possible to these:
http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/3532feb84ee25efccdf3c68d97f90ec5/l.jpg
http://sp1.fotolog.com/photo/17/19/125/estrellita_23/1304032328527_f.jpg
I know that each dreadlock es unique, but still, I want that kind of dreads for me. Here's a picture of my hair, just after getting up from bed:
So, what do you think? By the way, a guy who has experience on this is going to "make" my dreads, as I'm not skillful for this kind of things :P.

updated by @diego: 01/13/15 09:51:52PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

V chlapci s zl dredy, mus existova viac ne 100 'em, slvnu! Twist & rip dreads are the next best thing if done properly. Don't let the guy add anything into your hair while he's doing them, no products of any sort at all, even if he says they are safe. Products WILL hold in pockets of water, causing odors & mold, so do it all naturally clean. I know he has experience, but make sure that he will also go: twist rip rip rip rip twist rip rip rip twist rip rip rip rip and so on. When people do it twist, rip twist, rip, etc, they get the braided look, and I know you don't want that to happen. So I guess you know to wash them 2-3 days a week in the beginning. Now for separating sections trying to join together. The best time to do this is when the sections are still wet, they are stronger and thicker due to the water. To keep your dreads that thin, keep up on the separating or else they will join together forming a larger dread. Please share a pic with us when they are all done. Enjoy your upcoming journey, I bet you are pumped to get them done....Peace

Diego
@diego
11 years ago
16 posts

Thanks for the answers. The guy also said he uses a crochet needle to tidy up the dreads when he finishes, but I'll ask him not to use it because I think it's too damaging, Hopefully they will look neat with time in any case. Also, I'll make sure he goes twist rip rip rip instead of twist rip twist, thank you for the advice. So what I need to keep them thin is separating them very often, how often would you recommend? I already wash my hair 3-4 times a week, so that won't change much :)

I'll upload more pictures in the future, of course.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Please read this link for crochet hooks; http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/crocheting-method-making

Anyone who says they will last a lifetime, if a hook is used, is simply lying or very misinformed. They WILL break off one by one. Maybe not in 2 years, maybe not in 5, but they WON'T last you a lifetime, so please beware. By the looks of your hair now, you take good care of it and it looks very healthy. You can keep it that way with dreads too!...

Everyone's hair is different when it comes to how often to separate, Some only need to every couple of weeks, some every few days. You will know when it is needed just by them attaching to each other. Peace

Diego
@diego
11 years ago
16 posts

Yes, acually I decided not to use a crochet hook after reading that same thread a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the info!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form