Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New member here looking to say "Hi" and figure out how to start my sons hair

Tim cook
@tim-cook
12 years ago
11 posts

Im a 41 year old dad. I am heavily tattooed, but dont have dreads :( I just adopted a bi-racial 4 year old boy that I am looking to start the process with. His hair is 4" long when pulled straight. Ive attached some pics! Please help me to get started as Im leary on going the salon route-Id rather go natural :)

updated by @tim-cook: 02/15/15 01:39:49PM
Tim cook
@tim-cook
12 years ago
11 posts

more pics

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

If his hair is 4 inches it will probably begin to dread now, since it is so curly. My hair has started and I reckon it was about the same length. Just wash it 1-3 times a week with residue free shampoo. When sections start to form you will have to go through his hair and separate the sections that are too big. He will not be able to judge for himself. About 1 square inch is as big as you want them.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
12 years ago
585 posts

man thats rad i love hair like that see how its already sectioning itself out? just give it some time and keep his hair and head clean. you can either try the baking soda recipe found on the site in dreaducation or the dreadlockssoap everyone here talks about. clean hair will lock up much faster, and since his hair is already sectioning just let it be hell have locking hair in no time.

Tim cook
@tim-cook
12 years ago
11 posts
What about a conditioner? My wife's afraid it will be too dry without. Is that ok?So just wash it and leave it? No combing, brushing, running fingers through it? Air dry or towel dry?
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

If you dry with a towel, just pat it (No scrubbing). Air dry is fine otherwise.

If you use the BS/ACV wash, the ACV is conditioning. If it gets really dry, you can condition with jojoba oil or pure aloe (I recommend buying a plant and growing it large). It is better to avoid these measures until the dreads are mature, as they will slow progress.

No Brushing, no combing, no running fingers through, and generally try to avoid touching it all that much. Like I said though, you will need to judge when the sections are getting too large.

Tim cook
@tim-cook
12 years ago
11 posts
Where do I find the link/info for the bs/acv washing? When I do use it, do I "scrub" it in(like I would for my Caucasian hair), or gently pat it in and rinse, as to not "disturb" any progress?
Tim cook
@tim-cook
12 years ago
11 posts
Thanks Robyn!
Dumb question- How do you "separate"?Also, there is a bar and a liquid. The liquid says its for new dreads. Should I get that for him instead of the bar?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

either tho the bars might be lil more moisturizing

the bs/acv is all over the site look in featured discussions anmd its a no touch soak

seperate bu-y pulling them away from eachother when wet

typically african hairs dry cause the oils dont travel down the hair you want it a lil dry to dread but not so dry it gets brottle so alowe or jojoba can be used or sprayed on to moisturize

tho if u use the bars u may not need much

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tim cook
@tim-cook
12 years ago
11 posts
Thanks. I'll order the bar now. I hope it's safe to assume that will be a better route to start with instead of the baking soda???
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form