dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Getting ready to get dread-y

Julizah15
@julizah15
12 years ago
4 posts

Hello all. :)

I'm julizah15, and I'm in the process of growing out my hair in order to let it dread. It's about 3 inches long all over, so I'm trying to let it grow to about 5 or 6 inches before I put down the comb officially. I won't be using any wax or the like--I figure if it doesn't rinse out, why would I put it on my body? Also plan on using the acv/baking soda wash for keeping my future dreads squeaky clean and such, since that's what my boyfriend uses and his dreads are 8 years old and lovely. I was wondering, though, is it too soon to start prepping my hair/scalp for dreading? For example, should I start training my hair to tolerate being washed only a couple times a week, since I know that dreads take so much longer to dry and such? Anyway, I hope that wasn't horribly long, just wanted to say hello and find out what y'all think, since I've seen so many lovely sets of dreads on this site. :)

updated by @julizah15: 01/13/15 09:31:38PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its not too soon to toss the comb in the trash and wash as if you got dreads it may even dread shorter then the typical 6 inches but then again might not however you will be in great shape to dread when it gets there many begin the neglect proces from bald and find it dreads up great much shorter then usual

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Julizah15
@julizah15
12 years ago
4 posts

Good to know! I read somewhere on here that dreads that are startedshorter may mature more quickly..either way, I'm looking forward to starting out. Thank you for replying!

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I would definitely encourage you to start the entire process now. After all, in the time it would take to grow those extra inches you may already be dreading... plus, the longer your hair is the more shrinkage you get anyway ;)

Julizah15
@julizah15
12 years ago
4 posts

I like the way you think, Valerie! The only thing I'm worried about is not having time to ease my boss into the idea...but it's not like it'll dread up over night anyway....Hmmm... :) Thanks!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If you star now, and are doing it naturally, I would assume that there is a hint of, if not entirely because of, spiritual desire. Most people who go the natural route are doing it for spiritual effects, rather than stylish ones. In that case, you should explain it to your boss just to ease the idea on them. But in reality, (sorry, I didn't check if you lived in the US or not) you are protected from being fired on the grounds of the first amendment. The freedom of religion covers "spirituality". The US census has a box to check off for that, so the government recognizes it.

That all said, yeah start now. Start washing 2-3 times a week with the BS soak and then follow it with a plain water rinse and then the ACV rinse. Shorter hair does tend to lock up a bit slower, just because there isn't as much hair to tangle, but you never know until you start. But Val's right, like usual, that you will see much less shrinkage with shorter hair than longer hair. If you waited till it was 6 inches, you'd probably be waiting almost another year to start. in that year, if you started neglecting it now, you'd have pretty mature locks. Why wait. They might be short when they mature, but they will be mature. And I've noticed, from my own experience, that once mature, my locks have grown much faster than when my hair was straight

Julizah15
@julizah15
12 years ago
4 posts

Makes sense. Yeah, even though my hair grows really fast, it will still be around January before it's ready to dread for real. I'm okay with waiting, for the most part, just slightly zealous, I think. And I don't think my boss will have an issue; she's very religious herself and I feel like she'll respect my decision, regardless of her views on the matter...but out of respect I do want to give her a fair shot to wrap her brain around it. Seeing as I live in the bible belt and don't know any other caucasian people with dreadlocks (that live here, at least). Great point, though, Baba Fats! I feel better about the prospect of NOT waiting so long to dread, now that I've heard from a few of you veterans. :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form