Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello All; Glad I Found This Place

Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

- About 8 months ago is when I noticed it becoming really apparent. For awhile I though it was just from the way they were separated.

My guess because of the maturity of your dreads is that it's been going on for years. So some of it may not grow back. Once it hits the point of no return it wont come back. BUT most of it should grow back just fine! So just be patient, cause it will take some time.

How often are you wearing a tam?

- Just stared wearing one again.

Tam's are good for keeping the weight of the dreads from putting pressure on your scalp, but they can also be counter productive in that they could potentially rub against the affect area. So just be cautious that it's not rubbing the problem and you should be fine with that.

Are your dreads heavy and do you notice them pulling at your scalp from the weight?

- I only notice the weight once they're wet; the heaviness is going down as more wax comes out.

That's great news! Once the wax is out they shouldn't put anymore pressure on the scalp.

Since you've stopped twisting completely, have you noticed the hair toward the base of your dreads get a little loser by your scalp?

- Yep the bases are much looser

This is also good news! I was worried they might still be tight. You definitely want them to be loser so they aren't causing any tension.

Are you pulling them back tightly?

- The most I'll do is put them back loosely with a headband

Should be okay as long and they aren't tightly bound, and you don't put the headband on your hairline or affected area.

Have you used any essential oils before?

- nope, but going to take a look at that book Valerie posted.

That would be a great book to check out. The only reason I asked is because I know sometimes people are affected by scents, allergies to them and what not. Just ease into them and use one at a time at first so you can see how you react with it. If you use several at a time at first and have reaction, then you wont know which one you are allergic to. Or which one is causing a major migraine, etc. There are a few that give me terrible migraines and it took me forever to figure it out.

Don't think a scalp sucker is in the cards, but I do take cayenne as a supplement.

As far as the cayenne as a supplement, I'm not sure if that will necessarily bring blood flow to your scalp like it does when applied to the skin. But if you do decided to put it on your head, just be very careful (as I'm sure you know)

updated by @stephani: 07/23/15 02:45:35AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i can tell you that twisting starts causing trouble quickly but the salons moake you think that look is desired when its early in ..like 1st year or 2 there maybe an 1/8 to 1/4 inch "part" or scalpy gap between and around each dread it widens slowly but this is what salons call the "tidy' lok the hair loss probably began in the 1st couple years but took 12 years to progress this far thats why its so easily ignored and h=gets this bad

locticiabs make you believe the scalpy look is prefferted even though its the slow progression of hair loss

Stephani said:

How long ago do you think it was that you first noticed the hair loss?

- About 8 months ago is when I noticed it becoming really apparent. For awhile I though it was just from the way they were separated.

My guess because of the maturity of your dreads is that it's been going on for years. So some of it may not grow back. Once it hits the point of no return it wont come back. BUT most of it should grow back just fine! So just be patient, cause it will take some time.

Tam's are good for keeping the weight of the dreads from putting pressure on your scalp, but they can also be counter productive in that they could potentially rub against the affect area. So just be cautious that it's not rubbing the problem and you should be fine with that.

Are your dreads heavy and do you notice them pulling at your scalp from the weight?

- I only notice the weight once they're wet; the heaviness is going down as more wax comes out.

That's great news! Once the wax is out they shouldn't put anymore pressure on the scalp.

Since you've stopped twisting completely, have you noticed the hair toward the base of your dreads get a little loser by your scalp?

This is also good news! I was worried they might still be tight. You definitely want them to be loser so they aren't causing any tension.

Should be okay as long and they aren't tightly bound, and you don't put the headband on your hairline or affected area.

That would be a great book to check out. The only reason I asked is because I know sometimes people are affected by scents, allergies to them and what not. Just ease into them and use one at a time at first so you can see how you react with it. If you use several at a time at first and have reaction, then you wont know which one you are allergic to. Or which one is causing a major migraine, etc. There are a few that give me terrible migraines and it took me forever to figure it out.

Don't think a scalp sucker is in the cards, but I do take cayenne as a supplement.

As far as the cayenne as a supplement, I'm not sure if that will necessarily bring blood flow to your scalp like it does when applied to the skin. But if you do decided to put it on your head, just be very careful (as I'm sure you know)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

That is just sad! These places are ridiculous! I can tell you the about 95% of stylists don't perform dreadlocks or any form of braiding once they have graduated and are at a salon. Out of the ones about less then 1% have probably educated themselves enough to know the right things to do for things of this nature. I know that in the 2 salons that I've worked in out of my 6 years in this business, I have been the only one that knows how to braid or the safe way for dreadlocks. THAT IS SAD!

soaring eagle said:

i can tell you that twisting starts causing trouble quickly but the salons moake you think that look is desired when its early in ..like 1st year or 2 there maybe an 1/8 to 1/4 inch "part" or scalpy gap between and around each dread it widens slowly but this is what salons call the "tidy' lok the hair loss probably began in the 1st couple years but took 12 years to progress this far thats why its so easily ignored and h=gets this bad

locticiabs make you believe the scalpy look is prefferted even though its the slow progression of hair loss

Stephani said:

How long ago do you think it was that you first noticed the hair loss?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

see these freshly twisted dreads? prtobly under a year old at a guess see the gaps between the dreads the hairs pulling into the dreads very tightly the dreads super thin compared to the section size

theres already hair loss here nothing that leaving a\them alone a month or 3 wouldnt fix

but look at the distance between individual hairs on either side of that gap

now healthy hair is way way closer together even in fine thin hair the hairlines receding into each dread

now in his dreads im betting a few fell off alkong the part on top?

--
Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

yeah that is totally not supposed to look that way. Those clips need to be thrown away! Those are roller clips for little old lady roller sets! They should never be used on a dreadlock. Unfortunately, though that is what is taught in our schools!! It's awful isn't it?! Sadly though, I've seen worse. I had a client come in about 3 months ago that wanted braids. I refused to give her braids because her traction alopecia was way worse then this. She got mad when I explained why I wouldn't give her cornrows, and ended up going somewhere else. I educated her as to what I wouldn't, and what she could and should do, like STOP BRAIDING NOW. She wouldn't have it and sadly she's probably well on her way to bald now.

Sorry I got way off track there.

soaring eagle said:

see these freshly twisted dreads? prtobly under a year old at a guess see the gaps between the dreads the hairs pulling into the dreads very tightly the dreads super thin compared to the section size

theres already hair loss here nothing that leaving a\them alone a month or 3 wouldnt fix

but look at the distance between individual hairs on either side of that gap

now healthy hair is way way closer together even in fine thin hair the hairlines receding into each dread

now in his dreads im betting a few fell off alkong the part on top?

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Yeah but, for some it's a cultural norm and habits that are so completely imbued in a persons life are very hard to break.

In beauty school I had to take a separate braids and extensions class because it wasn't considered part of the regular curriculum. The instructor was wonderful and it wasn't until she was an adult that she realized just how bad it was to wear tight braids. As a child her hair was always braided and she said that it was so tight that she would cry but, that was what little girls had to go through (yikes, almost like foot binding!) She eventually ended up with traction alopecia and while teaching the braiding class she put emphasis on how braids should not be tight nor should they be done on wet hair because of the elasticity changes. She also said that considering this can make or break a hairdresser in regards to braiding because in spite of the proof some women still maintain that they need tight braids.

Traction alopecia can also be seen in ballet dancers since they wear their hair tightly as well.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its trure thatr its ingrained and pandemic theres tens of thousands of 16-19 year olds getting transplants doe to braiding and rtwisting because this too tight look is pushed so much as neat and tidy

there are kids under 6 going bald from braiding usualy its cought and reversed but theres no excuse for causing that to begin with

it will take alot of re-education to reverse the trend tho

but hey we aln]=most completely reveresed the sticky waxy trend so maybe with enough info this too will become less of an issue slowly

it will take people posting experiences..making your]=tube vids and sharing what they learned

--
Shawn Glover
@shawn-glover
12 years ago
3 posts

Luckily I've never had any fall off, but yeah the no twisting issue is just as important as no wax.

Problem is it's ingrained in the salon teaching as has been mentioned; its even on the wiki for dreadlocks.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

that and crochet and interlocking too

felting and dread perms arent great eo[ither but at least they arent commonly used as much as twisting crochet and interlocking is

--
Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

Valerie is right though, and a lot of times it's the parents that want their child's hair braided and pulled that tight. They do it because that is how they were raised, and because they can't correctly care for their hair do to it's texture. A lot of parents that have ethnic children either don't know how to correctly take care of their hair, or they think they are doing it right, by keeping it braided or giving it a relaxer. I have known women who will give their 3 year old a relaxer. If any of you are familiar with hair relaxers then you'll know that it is made up of mostly pure hydroxide. It will completely dissolve a soda can in little time, and people PUT THIS ON THEIR HEAD. They do it to make the hair straight. When in reality, it does nothing but destroy the hair and cause chemical breakage.

I wish there was a way to get people to stop doing harsh things to themselves in the quest to have "good hair". There is no such thing as perfect hair. Our hair is dead. (Which is why it doesn't hurt to cut it) Our follicles however, are alive, and many people just abuse their scalp so much that they destroy them.

So in all actuality, letting your hair dreadlock naturally is the best thing for it. When people ask me if the dreadlocks will damage my hair it makes me giggle, just a little. I abused my hair before with teasing and ratting and brushing and curling, flatirons, color, you name it. I don't do any of that anymore. Everyone should just loose their brushes and combs and dread up. But then I wouldn't have a job.. HAHA

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form