Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread Disaster! Cannot go on any longer.

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

Yeah, stress balls would be good, anything to keep your hands away from your hair, but it does sound like the disorder. Also, I take fish oils, and they're good for your hair, skin and nails, so maybe take those. You can get them in liquid form if you hate pills, but...good God they taste disgusting lol.

updated by @tara-c: 07/25/15 02:19:14AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

flax seed oil is a good vegatarian alternative and tastes better

i uesed to put it on alot odf stuff cause its good for joints too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
XYZ123
@xyz123
12 years ago
29 posts
So if I do start over I should keep as much length as possible how do I take out my 15+ month mature dreads without cutting? I might end up cutting it either way just because of the damage I've done to it & products I've used the first two years of growing my hair I didn't even know I was getting dreads 'til the day I got them last yr. So I might start from scratch just to see if my texture will change & whatnot in not sure yet.Could you maybe show me an example of decent dreads with neglect method & TnR locks with little, & occasional maintenance? Preferably with my ethnicity. I've tried googling everywhere & I can't seem to find any mixed backgrounds that don't use wax.

soaring eagle said:

ok interlocking root rubbing and palm rolling obsessively can do it twisting too much too

wearing the beanie too much i dont think mattered

your sections were kinda big they would thicken up alot u can se how much more by the lines around the existing dreads ..they will puff out to those lines

biotin is a b vitamin is it 6 or 12 tho i forget

u can get biotin in drinks u can even get biotin shampoos

if u tnr . you should leave em be after donttryto rush em

umm

i hope u went baxck to thoe who gave u bad advice and showed them what it caused!

XYZ123 said:

Nope no crocheting I don't even know how to use the needle ahah. No wax @ all either I was told from the beginning it was very harmful so
I steered clear from that. During the first months of dreading I was concerned with the maturity of my dreads & the roots locking so I was told to root run for the roots & palm roll to get the dreads to lock in faster. I root rubbed the back dreads & the front to A LOT because those were the most bothersome. But now, as you can see, they are gone. I did interlocking on two of them just as an experiment &, again to my regret, one of them became very thin, which I'm not sure how because I don't recall any hair falling out at all. I am biracial, black white & a little Hispanic. The problem that I have with just leaving the loose hair is that it looks very unpresentable because obv. it sticks out, very poofy like a FTP, & now straight like white hair. My hair is very complicated in texture. The back is very soft & fine, the top was a mixture of both but was thin-ish to begin with & the sides were a lot thicker & more African-American-like texture. Overall my hair has been very, very thin from the start. But yah all
I did was the root rubbing & the constant wearing of the beanie, which hopefully didn't cause any permanent damage to my scalp. I do have an obsessive compulsion to pull & twist my hair constantly. 90% I honestly do not realise that I'm doing it. A very bad habit since I started growing my hair out.

I do like how the neglect method dreads turn out but the thing with that is, for me, I'm getting out of high school this May & will be going into college, & I should be getting a job. Which, I don't want it to look "unprofessional" as most view it, which sucks. With this dread experience, I used the twist & rip method. I was very please with the outcome until 6 months into the dreading when they all fell out & all. Preferably, I would like that nice, clean look to my dreadlocks if they do become longer & if I do continue these or grow again.

Since I first had my locks, I was also concerned with the fact that a lot of people I've seen with dreads either have really thick locks and have around maybe 12 or so dreads. & then the people with the normal, thick, fair sized locks and had maybe 30 - 40 dreads. & then people with skinnies have maybe 60 - 100 locks! & when I started, I had only 25 & they were in between small & medium sized. So if I were to start again should I maybe start off with smaller, skinnies & then maybe work my way towards thicker ones by merging them & whatnot? Just a side question I wanted to ask I've been concerned with for a while now.

soaring eagle said:

ok b4 we make any decisions

what all had u done besides root rubbing looks like crochet too maybe/ wax?

more details ..and your ethnicity

i dont think u should cut i mean u can comb out tho the new growth will dread in a few more inches

it does look odd due to how they were lost but hey ..pull it off as intentional haha just your whacky style then when new dreads grow in filling gaps it wont matter

if u do start over save as much length as u can

then u only need 3 inches

ok i definately recomend neglect just stop combing and conditioning and let it dread..real simple then seprate as needed

otherwise twist n rip isnt a bad method its gentle and after u do it just wash and separate

over maintaining is what caused the issues the less maintenance u do the better

in fact i just posted a low vs high maintenance discussion today

and this sorta illustrates what i was trying to say

give me more details i=on everything u did

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

just look on here

neglect no maintenance nothing

just let em dread

now to comb out

soak in conditioner i mean..saturate

then very slowly and gently comb or pick out from the tip to root work on just the last 1/2 inch thats knotted

it will take awhile

if u hit a hard spot that wont come out soak it more and start working on a diferent dread while it soaks and softens up

will take days maybe but u should get em all out then trim the worse danmage off

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
XYZ123
@xyz123
12 years ago
29 posts

Great suggestions I will definitely take that into account & look into it more.

I was also wondering if I did start over should start with smaller dreads or larger dreads? Because when I started they were fairly sized & when they shrank they became really small. & I'd like to have more just so it takes up more on my head. That is if I go with TnR.

soaring eagle said:

ok interlocking root rubbing and palm rolling obsessively can do it twisting too much too

wearing the beanie too much i dont think mattered

your sections were kinda big they would thicken up alot u can se how much more by the lines around the existing dreads ..they will puff out to those lines

biotin is a b vitamin is it 6 or 12 tho i forget

u can get biotin in drinks u can even get biotin shampoos

if u tnr . you should leave em be after donttryto rush em

umm

i hope u went baxck to thoe who gave u bad advice and showed them what it caused!

XYZ123 said:

Nope no crocheting I don't even know how to use the needle ahah. No wax @ all either I was told from the beginning it was very harmful so
I steered clear from that. During the first months of dreading I was concerned with the maturity of my dreads & the roots locking so I was told to root run for the roots & palm roll to get the dreads to lock in faster. I root rubbed the back dreads & the front to A LOT because those were the most bothersome. But now, as you can see, they are gone. I did interlocking on two of them just as an experiment &, again to my regret, one of them became very thin, which I'm not sure how because I don't recall any hair falling out at all. I am biracial, black white & a little Hispanic. The problem that I have with just leaving the loose hair is that it looks very unpresentable because obv. it sticks out, very poofy like a FTP, & now straight like white hair. My hair is very complicated in texture. The back is very soft & fine, the top was a mixture of both but was thin-ish to begin with & the sides were a lot thicker & more African-American-like texture. Overall my hair has been very, very thin from the start. But yah all
I did was the root rubbing & the constant wearing of the beanie, which hopefully didn't cause any permanent damage to my scalp. I do have an obsessive compulsion to pull & twist my hair constantly. 90% I honestly do not realise that I'm doing it. A very bad habit since I started growing my hair out.

I do like how the neglect method dreads turn out but the thing with that is, for me, I'm getting out of high school this May & will be going into college, & I should be getting a job. Which, I don't want it to look "unprofessional" as most view it, which sucks. With this dread experience, I used the twist & rip method. I was very please with the outcome until 6 months into the dreading when they all fell out & all. Preferably, I would like that nice, clean look to my dreadlocks if they do become longer & if I do continue these or grow again.

Since I first had my locks, I was also concerned with the fact that a lot of people I've seen with dreads either have really thick locks and have around maybe 12 or so dreads. & then the people with the normal, thick, fair sized locks and had maybe 30 - 40 dreads. & then people with skinnies have maybe 60 - 100 locks! & when I started, I had only 25 & they were in between small & medium sized. So if I were to start again should I maybe start off with smaller, skinnies & then maybe work my way towards thicker ones by merging them & whatnot? Just a side question I wanted to ask I've been concerned with for a while now.

soaring eagle said:

ok b4 we make any decisions

what all had u done besides root rubbing looks like crochet too maybe/ wax?

more details ..and your ethnicity

i dont think u should cut i mean u can comb out tho the new growth will dread in a few more inches

it does look odd due to how they were lost but hey ..pull it off as intentional haha just your whacky style then when new dreads grow in filling gaps it wont matter

if u do start over save as much length as u can

then u only need 3 inches

ok i definately recomend neglect just stop combing and conditioning and let it dread..real simple then seprate as needed

otherwise twist n rip isnt a bad method its gentle and after u do it just wash and separate

over maintaining is what caused the issues the less maintenance u do the better

in fact i just posted a low vs high maintenance discussion today

and this sorta illustrates what i was trying to say

give me more details i=on everything u did

XYZ123
@xyz123
12 years ago
29 posts

Yah I took them one time a while back & the taste is repulsive. But it sounds worth while.
Tara C said:

Yeah, stress balls would be good, anything to keep your hands away from your hair, but it does sound like the disorder. Also, I take fish oils, and they're good for your hair, skin and nails, so maybe take those. You can get them in liquid form if you hate pills, but...good God they taste disgusting lol.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

if u leave em alone to be healthy dreads fatten up to theroot section size

so mix em up a mix from slall to medium to large largest being 1 inch at the scalp n[medium 1/2 inch small 1/4

if the 1/4 are too small you can let them congo later on

if u fgo natural they sction perfectly

just seperate any that are too big or try to combine

--
XYZ123
@xyz123
12 years ago
29 posts

Alright that sounds fair. If I were to start with the neglect method would the start out looking something like this?

soaring eagle said:

so mix em up a mix from slall to medium to large largest being 1 inch at the scalp n[medium 1/2 inch small 1/4

updated by @xyz123: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
XYZ123
@xyz123
12 years ago
29 posts

& do you have any assumptions as to why I don't have much hair or dreads on the top of my head? It may have to do with the way they were sectioned/parted but I'm not sure. Is there any way to fix that at all?

soaring eagle said:

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

overmaintenance rolling twisting making them thinner then they normaly would be

oh wanted to add olive oil can also be used to comb em out

XYZ123 said:

& do you have any assumptions as to why I don't have much hair or dreads on the top of my head? It may have to do with the way they were sectioned/parted but I'm not sure. Is there any way to fix that at all?

soaring eagle said:

--

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form