Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

3 Months in... Should my dreads look like dreads?

Marissa
@marissa
13 years ago
7 posts
Oh, good to know, because I've already had dandruff problems with mine a few times.
updated by @marissa: 07/23/15 02:50:17AM
Gabe McCoy
@gabe-mccoy
13 years ago
120 posts
That is most certainly normal. But if you feel that you need to get them a little tighter (which is unnecessary but I did it so I understand) Then I would say you could try some LIGHT crocheting, you have to do it very gently though or else it will damage your hair excessively but if you gently pull the loose/frizzy hair shallowly into the dreads in my experience it doesn't hurt them. (though some people will disagree with me, which is cool whatever works for you.) Dreadhead hq soap works fine for most people and it does a very thorough job of removing oils from your hair and whatever else and seems to help dreads tighten up a bit (or so they claim), I guess some people get dandruff from it I never have. Personally though I would have to recommend the knotty boy shampoo for newer dreads it has all the benefits of essential oils without being conditioning at all. After you've had them for awhile I'd recommend Maylees dread shampoo, I just got some and it feels a little conditioning but I've had my dreads for 11 months so they work good for me.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i would not recomend the crocheting

why?

not only because ofd the damage but

if you tnr 2 dreads next to eachother 1 real loose and 1 super tight

the super tight 1 dreads slower the loose 1 dreads faster

trying to fi]orce extreme tightness early on is counter productive and sevgerely delays dreadinjg

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
hippiegal
@hippiegal
13 years ago
182 posts
Hi, Marissa. They look fine to me. Your dreads are definitely forming and over time they'll tighten up by themselves. Other members have recommended crocheting, butI would be wary of that. You dreads may look tight sooner, but time and nature makes the strongest dreads. I would say hang in there, enjoy life, enjoy your mission work and please send us some new photos in a few more months.
Marissa
@marissa
13 years ago
7 posts
Yeah, I'm just going to let them be and see how it goes.I don't mind having my hair how it is now and I'm not in a hurry, I just wanted to make sure that I was on the right track. :-) This forum definately came in handy!

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form