Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Thin roots and balding

millarrrr
@millarrrr
4 years ago
3 posts

I'm a 30 year old female with 6 year old dreadlocks.

I've noticed in the last couple months that I have much thinner roots than I used to and some dreads are becoming thinner as well. There are larger gaps between the roots than there used to be. I'm guessing it was a gradual process. I didn't notice because my fringe was never locked and I was wearing my hair in a very tight bun with the fringe pulled back off my face. I can't stand my hair touching my face.

They were created with a crochet hook and I initially had about 40 dreads. I had them retwisted about 6 months after creation which I thought was fine, a little stiff for a couple days, but fine. The second retwist was at 2 years. This was a terrible job. The roots were super tight and the dreads looked ridiculous because he tightened about 3 inches down from the root and then left the rest thick. I couldn't really see what he was doing at the time. My scalp hurt for at least a week and I couldn't sleep without being in pain. I didn't get them retwisted after that, so it's been 3 years or so since I've done anything at all to them. 

I've never really understood how to care for my dreads so I would often go a long time without washing. I used dry shampoo to make it look cleaner, despite actually making it worse. I'd say I had a very unhealthy scalp. The tension from my hairstyle caused major itching and I did not hesitate to scratch. This likely damaged the follicles and broke many hairs. I neglected to care for them for over 4 years. I'm under no illusions as to how I've caused my hair loss, I'm just wondering if it's fixable. Can I grow hairs back in the bald spots?

I've looked at many posts on here from people in similar situations but there's never any follow up so it's difficult to know if anyone has actually recovered.

I've started washing my hair twice a week since November and I massage my scalp for a few minutes every couple days. I use peppermint, lavender and rosemary oil in an almond carrier to massage a few hours before I wash my hair. I no longer wear it tightly pulled back and I've cut my dreads shorter to avoid any tension from weight.

What can I expect from recovery?

millarrrr
@millarrrr
4 years ago
3 posts
Photos show crown and side of head above my ear. These are probably the worst parts.
IMG20200121175345.jpg
IMG20200121175345.jpg  •  3.4MB

IMG20200121175322.jpg
IMG20200121175322.jpg  •  3.6MB

IMG20200121175316.jpg
IMG20200121175316.jpg  •  3.4MB

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
29,640 posts

go on facebook consult with panterra carraway

who would retwist your hair type ?

sue them !

i n videos look for the traction alopecia help video

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
millarrrr
@millarrrr
4 years ago
3 posts
Thank you for responding. It was a guy I found on gumtree (Australian version of Craigslist). It was a few years ago and I had no knowledge of dreadlocks and what to avoid.

I'll try to get in touch with Panterra and search for the video. Thank you.
Would you say I can grow my hair back? I'm very patient and expect this to take longer than a year if it is even fixable. I imagine the damage was done quite some time ago, I just didn't notice.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
29,640 posts

most likely yea

panterra is your best hope

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form