dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Will my hair dread?

jack2
@jack2
11 years ago
21 posts

Hey!

Me and my bro are looking at getting our hair dreaded but we're both concerned about texture and the thickness of our hair. We both have really light and stupidly straight natural hair, plus it's really thin!

Here's a few pics of my hair

As you can see it's really fine/thin and straight. It also gets really greasy if i don't wash it often, like once a day!

Is it possible to dread our hair?I tried not washing my hair for like 2 weeks and all that happened is it became really greasy nothing else :(

updated by @jack2: 02/14/15 03:25:02AM
jack2
@jack2
11 years ago
21 posts

noticed alot of people mentioning on other threads not to comb your hair which i dont!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

All hair locks. Some takes a little longer than others. If your hair is still as short as it is in those pics, it's just not long enough to start locking, yet. Ixchel and myself are prime examples of locks taking forever to form. It took me about a year to see any progress, and Ixchel about 8 months. But we're the outcasts. Most people see progress much sooner. On average it does take about a full year to grow mature locks. They aren't something you can go to a salon and "get done" in a day or 2. It takes time, patience, and commitment.

You need to wash your hair for it to lock. Baby locks should be washed 2-3 times a week. Since your hair is normally oily, I'd recommend the Baking Soda wash (1/2 cup BS in every 5 cups of water). Oily hair and scalp is a sign that your scalp is too acidic. BS is a base, and will help to raise the pH of your hair and scalp. Give it a few weeks. When your hair stops being oily, get back to me about how and when to start using ACV.

As your scalp gets used to it, it won't get oily when you go a few days without washing. This can take a few weeks, but it does happen, I promise. It just takes the right routine.

Even if you don't comb your hair, just touching it a lot, or running your hands through it, will slow down/prevent progress.

jack2
@jack2
11 years ago
21 posts

Thanks. My hair is longer than that now

What do you mean by baking soda? i had a look at my local store and found something but it looks like it's for food etc or is that the wrong one? lol

updated by @jack2: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

That's it. It is used for food, a lot of the time. But it's also a cleaning agent. I couldn't see where you were from, so I just went with Baking Soda. Some European countries call it bread soda, or other names. But Bicarbonate f soda is the same thing.

That length looks much better for locking. The natural method is always healthiest, but if you really want a boost, the TnR method helps start a blueprint of where you want your sections to be. It can take a while to TnR your whole head, but it does a good job setting the stage for locks

jack2
@jack2
11 years ago
21 posts

I'm from the united kingdom. that's all i could find in my local supermarket. How much do i use again?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

The ratio is 1/2 cup in every 5 cups of water. So that's about 5 tablespoons in ever liter of water. You can double to recipe if you feel like you need to. It all depends on your desire. But the ratio should always stay the same. If you double the water, you have to double the BS.

You can also add some essential oils to this wash as well.

Joshua Perez
@joshua-perez
11 years ago
11 posts

Yes itll dread. It may take awhile but itll dread. Wash you hair dude. Just dont comb it. It took me awhile as well. Over year to show any signs of nattyness.

jesse demato
@jesse-demato
11 years ago
23 posts
my hair doesn't resemble yours at all but in my opinion the pink sea salt spray from Vicki will accelerate progress in anyone's hair. I also think your a good candidate for tnr. maybe just a couple of inches of tnr at the bottom of the hair to make it tangle from the bottom up. that helped some of my sections catch up to some other sections
jack2
@jack2
11 years ago
21 posts

Thanks everyone. is tnr tear and rip? I'll have to find a tutorial for it. I might leave it for a while and let my hair grow a bit longer as i have heard dreads decrease the length of your hair.

should i start with the baking soda now? what sort of effect will it have in the meantime ?

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form