Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com

HashFlare
Dreadlocks Forums

Will my hair dread?

DaThrill Helton
@dathrill-helton
4 years ago
48 posts

yes start the baking soda now. your hair needs to be clean do it 2-3 times a week. its a no touch method too so just mix it and pour it on your head and let it set for 20-30 minutes then rinse it off.

updated by @dathrill-helton: 07/23/15 05:23:05AM
jack2
@jack2
4 years ago
21 posts

Wow, your hair looks fantastic! I've never had that knotting problem, my hair is just so fine it practically weighs nothing, im so jealous of my friends that have naturally wavy hair.

So i start washing my hair with the baking soda, is that all? then gradually stop washing my hair all together?

k8ekate said:

Your hair looks identical to mine. When I was little my mom would call my hair "cotton candy hair" because when I woke up I would have a big ball of knots in the back caused from sleeping on such fine hair. I don't know if yours was similar. When finally deciding to regrow them (my first set was started waaaay wrong) I knew this meant it would lock up well despite what most naysayers told me. And what do you know?! My first knots were beginning only a couple of weeks after I started neglecting. I didn't even start with the twist and rip (TnR) method. So I would bet you'll have a fairly easy time of it once you balance your scalps pH like Baba recommends. I'm a year and 17 days in and most of my hair is locked up. I am having a bit of an issue with my sides but I attribute that to pulling them up most days. Since I had my baby two months ago and don't really go anywhere and haven't been pulling the sides up the locking has really accelerated. Soooo....with that, HAPPY LOCKING MY MAN!
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
4 years ago
2,730 posts

You should NEVER stop washing all together. The least you should ever wash, no matter how old your locks are, is once a week. But even mature locks can be washed 2-3 times a week. Mine are over 6 years old, and I wash twice a week in the winter, 3 times a week in the summer.

As they mature, you can wash less than 3 times a week, but because your hair keeps growing, you need to keep your roots clean

jack2
@jack2
4 years ago
21 posts

Ok baba but how do the dreads form?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
4 years ago
2,730 posts

Do you mean in general? Or as new hair grows? There is always going to be a web of loose, tangled and straight hair around your roots. As your hair grows out, it's straight. But it has those loose hairs to snag onto and pull into the lock. The new growth doesn't tangle with the hair at the tips of the locks that are already formed. But It does tangle with itself and those loose hairs. So all new knots are formed. Completely separate from the ones that are already part of the maturing lock.

jack2
@jack2
4 years ago
21 posts

Sorry i mean just in general. do i just keep using the baking soda and eventually they will form?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
4 years ago
2,730 posts

The same system applies. Hairs begin to tangle around eachother. As these tangles grow, they get tighter and form knots. These knots accumulate and become locks. That's all dreadlocks are: An extreme accumulation of knots, loops, and tangles. Brushing or running you hands through your hair loosens and take out these knots. But if you allow these tangles to grow without any interference, you end up with just a couple of MASSIVE locks. That's why you need to separate them into the sized sections you want.

jack2
@jack2
4 years ago
21 posts

Ah, thanks baba. I was just wondering because i i don't think i have EVER combed my hair once since it was the length in the first photos. Surely something should've formed by now? or is it because of way i wash my hair?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
4 years ago
2,730 posts

There are 1001 factors that go into how peoples hair locks. You can't usually bring it down to any 1 specific issue. I have rather wavy hair, and it took me about a year to see any progress. Ixchel has really straight hair, and it took her about 8 months. But Eagle knows a Japanese guy who's locks formed in weeks.

How you wash is 1 factor. But not the only one.

DaThrill Helton
@dathrill-helton
4 years ago
48 posts

its because of the way u were washing and what you was washing with. If you run your hands through ur hair its the same as brushing. thats why it hasn't knotted up. just do the bs wash mixed like bubba said and let your hair do its thing. try not to comb through it with ur hand, basically forget u have hair except when u wash it and remember the bs wash is a no touch method ;)

/ 5

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form