Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

When they tell you to retwist

Tyler3
@borntodie
12 years ago
25 posts

I have received quite a few compliments on my dreads. Of course, compliments are pretty rare... for me anyway when it comes to things like this. Every now and then, I always encounter that person that tells me or even asks me about retwisting. A co worker today was talking about retwisting and what not,and I told him that I like natural dreads (and I forgot to mention that I don't like the look of retwisted dreads.) It really hurt me though. He wasn't trying to offend me, nor do I have anything against him, but it just hurts me a little for some reason. :/

updated by @borntodie: 01/13/15 09:29:28PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

did you tell him that retwisting will cause r=the dreads to thin break and worse cause traction alopecia and balding?

look at the salon thatr just posted pictutes for a great example of why you dont want to ever retwist

just tell them why its soooo bad for the scalp and leave it at that

educate them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u can tell them that u dont want to go bald like this poor dude

u want a full head of healthy thick dreads like this dude

i realllly dont understand why anyone would think the twisted dreads look better

do u?

the 1st 1 im sure wasted a few thousand dollars and will need a hair transplant

the second 1 never spent a cent just let em dread and they will last a lifetime

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Tyler3
@borntodie
12 years ago
25 posts

No, I don't think retwisted dreads look better. I like the natural ones much much better. I have pictures of my dreads when I first got them started (which was at a salon) and she did a great job starting them off. Of course, I wash and separate now, but some people want to get the idea that if you don't retwist your dreads that must mean you aren't taking care of them. I told him that I am taking care of my dreads and that natural dreads 'last longer'. I should have said 'are much healthier' instead. As for the thinning and balding... I didn't want to get into that since I haven't really learned much about how retwisting would cause that, but once I get a better understanding, I will be able to explain to others when they tell me to retwist.

As I was saying about my photos of when I first got them done, which was about..4 months ago... I like my dreads now better than when I first got them done. I have lots of dreads, so the scalp look wouldn't have even been noticeable, but that scalp look is what's considered "maintained". My dreads looked really flat and had no volume, but now they do. :-)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

twisting pulls the hairs from a wide area intio thin dreads thinning the roots making them breal=k it pulls sideways on the hair folicule damaging the scalp so the hairs slip our-t and do not grow back

the areas around the dreads get wisder and wider till they reach a point where they just become a general balding like jay sil[mmons's video shows

its called traction alopecia its caused nby..traction..tension making the roots way too tight

look at any salon maintained dreads and u will see traction alopecia either uin early stages or advanced

a salon posted pivs on here yesterdat=y that are shocking in how painfully tight the roots are every 1 of her clients will go bald

thats where i got pic number 1 from

--
Tyler3
@borntodie
12 years ago
25 posts

You know... I think it's more of a cultural thing because I have seen white people with dreads and all of them I have seen looked natural and in my opinion...great. Though, just about every black person I have seen has their dreads retwisted sooo tight. I honestly hate that look and but to them it looks "neat". To each is own but I wouldn't ever want to do that to my dreads. So yeah, I think it's more of a cultural thing if anything at all. People influence each other, especially when you're a minority.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well partialy right i mean rastas certainly dont go twisting theirs

and alot of caucasians live in that same fear and maun[intain other ways with crochet ab=nd wax etc

partialy its the whole you wont get a job with hair like that and the fear of being associated with hiuselessnes poverty..try=u neglect that comes with mental illness

but also partialy its still the same ol misinformation that dreads are hard to care for need to be maintained they are hard to wash so only a qualified loctician can wash them tc

its not strictly cultural cause the phenomi]enon croc=sses all cultural borders its just how they are maintained that changes and the african salons tend to really crank the roots down insanely tight and cause traction alopecia

but part of thats also that traction alopecfia is practivcly a part of the culture starting with kids and very tight braids then corn rows and hairstyles that are real tight and left in for months or longer its kinda a norm to see it every day so they dont think its oy[ut of the ordinary until its really almost too late

--
Tyler3
@borntodie
12 years ago
25 posts

Great point. I wonder why that is. It may have started as a tradition as society's standards change and now it's just become a norm I suppose. The feeling of dreads when they're really tight is very uncomfortable. I don't understand how some want to do it so bad.

My dreads aren't neglect though. I had them started using the 2 strand method,and I just wash them and separate them. I don't think that's considered neglect..... is it??

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

we call that natural surender when u started with a method then surrendered to the natural process

did u see that salonsss pics? they are shocking

1 sec

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Find more photos like this on dreadlocks forums

shocking huh?

people actualy pay to hacve this done?

ouch