Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Questioning Equal opportunity employment.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Wow. Ok, is the gov't got out of business's business, we'd be screwed.

I do agree with not claiming a religious significance, though. If they question what religion, you'll have to have one. If you don't strictly observe it's holidays like you do with your hair, they will say you were lying on your application, and can fire you for falsifying a record.

If you give them a religion that is not recognized by the government as a real religion, the job doesn't have to accept it as one either. Tread lightly.

updated by @baba-fats: 07/22/15 07:43:54AM
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
12 years ago
393 posts

Unless someone lives in a country that has an "Official religion." Governments do not have the jurisdiction to say what is or is not a "Real" religion.

Baba Fats said:

If you give them a religion that is not recognized by the government as a real religion, the job doesn't have to accept it as one either.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

check out the law. The US only recognizes some religions (all of the biggies: Chistianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hindu... etc). Wicca was not recognized until somewhat recently. I'm not even sure if Rastafarianism is yet

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

There's is a lot to prove before you get a religion recognized. ie. specific worship techniques, place of worship, what/who you worship to... the list goes on

Then they have to approve that your method does not violate any laws already in place. The only religion that is allowed to use drugs is the NAC. That's because they are asovereign nation that follow strict religious laws. If the US government found out that they abused peyote, they would probably be revoked as an accepted religion.

Mariah Tafari
@mariah-tafari
12 years ago
1 posts

The way i see it, as long as you keep your hair clean, and keep it out of your face while your working.. u should be okay. Never hide your hair. I for example, am a waitress, and training to be a chef. I'm in culinary school, and pay a lot of money to be there. I work in a high end upscale restaurant, so u would imagine.. people would most expect These would be the type of places to not like my locks. But My personality and work ethic overcome their judgements. I dont let peoples' ignorance stop me. You will run into that wherever u go. Espessially because I'm a white female, its even more taboo to most employers. But just as our eyes are not the same color, our hair is not the same either. You will find your place, follow your goals, and just BE yourself.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Woah. I worked in the food industry too. Never had a real problem with my locks, but as far as not covering. That's kind of gross. If I work with food, I cover my hair. It usually acts like a natural hair net, but that doesn't change the fact that we all shed hair. Especially if you work in a high end restaurant. I'm telling you, if I found out that the cooks at a place I go to had long hair and did not wear hair nets, I'd stop going. Straight or locked

Gilly's Mum
@gillys-mum
12 years ago
25 posts

I dont know if there's an official rule on it, but if they hired you with dreads, I dont see how they could fire you for having em.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It depends on the state, but here in Pa, they can fire you for whatever reason they like. If you think it's unjust, you have to prove it yourself. That's why I tell everyone to never sign a write up. If you do, and then try to say it was unjust, they'll say "well, you signed it, therefore you must have agreed it was wrong."

If you don't sign it, they will turn it into your file anyway, but when you complain about how you were fired, you can say argue your case more solidly.

They might have hired you with them, but didn't like them, or have gotten complaints from customers. They'll probably officially fire you for other little things you did or didn't do, but the underlying reason will be your hair.

NEVER SIGN A WRITE UP

GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
12 years ago
393 posts

Since you know so much about this list. Is there link to a .gov website you can give to everyone to look at?

Compared to the fact that "Freedom of Religion" is a concept written into number of Constitutions that list has as much force of law behind it as a grain of sand would have. Ever hear of Shamanism?

For everyone not just Baba Fats:

1. Actual laws and regulations/statutes aren't the same things. Laws apply to everyone equally. Regulations/statutes apply to the persons who are required to comply with them because of some voluntary decision.

2. If a company wants you to stop working with them. There is no requirement that makes them put your name on the schedule. Trust me, I have woke up to phone calls and told that I am no longer needed.

Baba Fats said:

check out the law. The US only recognizes some religions (all of the biggies: Chistianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hindu... etc). Wicca was not recognized until somewhat recently. I'm not even sure if Rastafarianism is yet

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I was intrigued when I saw this. This is a census report for the year 1990, 2001, and 2008. "Spiritualists" is listed. It must be a relatively new addition.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0075.pdf

I'm still looking for a site that shows what it takes for a religion to be recognized by the US and protected under the first amendment. Give me a little more time

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form