Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

This is so sad...why am I laughing?

KnottyPrincess
@knottyprincess
13 years ago
122 posts

And what the heck was that lotion stuff? I guess it's better than wax though. Probably easier to get out.

updated by @knottyprincess: 07/23/15 06:22:43PM
KnottyPrincess
@knottyprincess
13 years ago
122 posts

Yeah. True.

Jesse Graham said:

kinda cool i guess if its only done a few times kinda like twist .. but yea id jus go natural as in letting them form themself

❀.Zombeth.☮)O(
@zombetho
13 years ago
42 posts

That looks gross.. lol

Andreas R
@andreas-r
13 years ago
5 posts

I feel bad for the kid. He looks so ridiculous and pathetic while she's doing that.

iamdamien
@iamdamien
12 years ago
9 posts

Yes, this is a bit old, but I still got an account here just to ask, since I amapparentlylacking humor:

What exactly is so funny about this? It seems to be a good method for creating twists quickly which, in turn, can then form into thin dreads. So what you laughing about? You are laughing about the method, not the people, correct?

I used to have nice dreads about 10 years ago using the neglect method. Now I want them again, and when I saw this, I thought to myself, "Nice, that will hasten things!". So I bought a sponge at a gas station, poked holes into it, and started rubbing...3 minutes later, I had the twists. That was about a week ago, and now I can already feel my hair slowly locking up, even though I've washed twice since (I do lots of sports, not washing is NOT an option).

Seriously, I don't get how you can on the one hand make fun of this, because a bit of skull can be seen in the early stages (which many do find attractive, btw), while manyCaucasians' hair I've encountered looked and smelled anything but appealing for weeks, months, or years even. I don't want to turn this into a racial discussion, I merely want to point out that, well, "when in a house of glass..."...you get the picture.(Of course I know not every Caucasian has dirty dreads, I am generalizing to make a point. That is clear, I hope.)

So, what am I missing? I want to laugh, too.

Again, i don't mean do preach, even though I guess I am, I just really really really don't get it.

KaarlieBirdie
@kaarliebirdie
12 years ago
22 posts

it is indeed amusing to watch! :P I think its just a funny looking process slash movement to witness.

iamdamien
@iamdamien
12 years ago
9 posts

Well yeah, I get that the process looks funny, that the demeanor in which it is conducted is quite amusing (rubbing one's head with a sponge, Mom's comment, boy being "abused", etc.), but I don't have the feeling that it is the manner of the process that is being laughed at, or the way how it looks, but that the process as such is frowned upon. That's the part I don't get...

Kaarlie said:

it is indeed amusing to watch! :P I think its just a funny looking process slash movement to witness.

KaarlieBirdie
@kaarliebirdie
12 years ago
22 posts

I think it's just because a large number of people here are somewhat anti-interferencewhen it comes to the dreading process. Most people vouch for all natural and neglect.

...just speculating.

iamdamien said:

Well yeah, I get that the process looks funny, that the demeanor in which it is conducted is quite amusing (rubbing one's head with a sponge, Mom's comment, boy being "abused", etc.), but I don't have the feeling that it is the manner of the process that is being laughed at, or the way how it looks, but that the process as such is frowned upon. That's the part I don't get...

Kaarlie said:

iamdamien
@iamdamien
12 years ago
9 posts

That's the feeling I get. It just seems a little narrow-minded/fallacy from personalincredulity/foundationally biased, whatever you want to call it, to ridicule something just because it is a different approach from one's own...oh well.

ToTheAnkles!
@totheankles
12 years ago
102 posts
That's not just a different approach, it's a damaging approach. That's going to allow only fragile dreads to form. Doing that just destroys the roots and it's ridiculous because hair dreads fine on it's own. If you can see bald spots like that then the roots are being ripped from the scalp because they are so tightly dreaded, and letting your hair dread like that can cause baldness. This is what people mean when they say "what, don't dreads make you go bald?!" they probably heard a story about someone who had dreads that fell out and forgot to mention that he had roots twisted very tight.And the whole dirty crusty white people dreads story is pretty silly. Wash them, problem solved. I don't see how this even made it's way into the discussion. If someone has dirty dreads, he needs to wash them and whatever dreading methods he used have nothing to do with that (well, unless he used wax or chemical crap but that's another big no no).

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form