Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

would you cut off your dreds for your job

taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
no i would not cut off my locks for a present job or a future job. there are things in my life that have importance or pleasure. A job gives me the ability to achieve these. If the job keeps me from these...I don't want that job. The way i see it...i give a certain amount of time (years) for education. That gives me the qualification for a certain job..or jobs. After that i have choices. I can choose where i work. If a place is not for me....i will find another job. There are many jobs...but only one of me.
updated by @taye: 07/11/15 07:25:53AM
bill
@bill
14 years ago
30 posts
no i wouldnt ether, i dont want to work for any judgmental undesirables so i see it as if there going to be prejudice and get you sacked over your hair of all things! then there doing you a favor in the long run.
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts

Like that person said the job market isnt so hot right now. So if you were unemployed struggling to get by and someone offered you a position assuming you clean cut your hair..i would think most of us would cut. Not that i agree with corporate america ragging on dreadlocks in the workplace, but money in the pocket is food in the belly.

Plus, i myself am married with one child. So for me to refuse keeping my job or possibly accepting one because i wouldn't cut my hair would be selfish of me. It's easier for someone single i guess.

Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts
Heh and btw SE i gotta say the fact that you went into a interview with your dread beard means you must have cohones of steel my friend lol.I myself wouldn't attempt that but i salute you for it.
marshaun d clark
@marshaun-d-clark
13 years ago
4 posts
Thanks for all the comments and support I decided to file a lawsuit with the equal employment opportunity commision so ill tell yall the results
❀.Zombeth.☮)O(
@zombetho
13 years ago
42 posts
I wouldn't cut my hair for a job, a job that does not allows freedom of any hairstyle is not a job worth working. Same goes for religious/cultural freedom. :)
marshaun d clark
@marshaun-d-clark
13 years ago
4 posts
Ok so I got a 2000 offer from them not to go threw wit it not taking it I got enuff evidence and witnesses to win these case if I fight it
Edouard
@edouard
13 years ago
21 posts
I couldn't have said it better.

Knottysleeves said:

It's a tough call. Your locks are obviously very important to you. In an ideal world, nobody would have to compromise their principles in order to survive... but unfortunately we don't live in that world. The job market really sucks right now so sometimes you just gotta accept that you're at the mercy of bigoted employers, and do what you can to get by.

For me personally, surviving is more important than what my hair looks like. So if not cutting meant not being able to find a job and pay my rent, then hell yes I would cut. My identity isn't tied to my hair. I'd miss my dreads like crazy and it would suck, but hey, eating every day and keeping a roof over my head is always the priority.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form