Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

ways to go green in your home/life

Jayah O
@jayah-o
15 years ago
38 posts
Wear pre-loved clothes :)Make sure the window and door caulk is in good shape, 'specially if you are in colder climates..like Canada! LOLUse baking soda, vinegar and a lil dish soap to clean..or steam, if you have electricity.As for the cloth diapering, one step even better is elimination communication. You pay attention to your baby and have it go where you want. A bucket, the toilet, what ever. African women do that all the time. They have no diapers. It's an easier thing to learn when you wear your baby anyways. Paper diapers SUCK..so do paper feminine products. Like I want a bunch of chemically altered stuff on mine or my family's reproductive organs....
updated by @jayah-o: 07/23/15 03:39:23PM
Jo
@jo
15 years ago
176 posts
We use alot of packaging over and over again too. Margerine containers make awesome "tupperware" my husband uses them to take his lunch to work, and spagetti sauce we buy the ones that come in jars and reuse those for left overs too. But I didnt think about burlap purses, that's an awesome idea Erin Joy Lauzon said:
Changing the topic away from the biohazardous (gross, bleh) waste products...
Don't buy products in plastic, or with excessive packaging. I usually consider when buying things how many times i may be able to reuse the packaging. Theres nothing wrong with packing leftovers in old pickle jars. I reuse glass juice bottles for all kinds of stuff. And any jar that has a pressure seal built into the lid can be used safely for canning. Sometimes things are funky and can have creative purposes too. Some kinds of dry goods come in beautiful burlap sacs that make awesome purses.
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
Use a laptop instead of a desktop computer.....netbook if applicable. It may be more efficient if many people stopped using a computer all together and just used their cell phones for most of their electronic communication needs but that is still a few years off from being viable. If you have the ability...never use a printer again.Hand wash your clothes, drop the microwave completely, use natural gas for cooking, eat locally grown foods, homegrown if possible. Remove television from your life completely and pick up a book....healthier for the environment and your brain. Stay away from anything in an aerosol can. Stay away from chain stores when you can and shop locally owned businesses(more an economic issue than green). Put the car keys down and walk/ride a bike when you can.I'm sure I can think of many more.
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
careful though, even orgainc soaps could have a way different PH than your plants need to thrive. You want an acidic soil and 90 percent of soaps (organic or not) are alkaline.For my showers I just fill up a gallon jar to get myself wet and then again to rinse. That way I know I am using just enough water without wasting. HolliannePage said:
even if a light isn't on, it still wastes electricity, so unplugging things when you arent using them saves electricity.
My boyfriend also made a compost tumbler. we had a simple compost pile, but we live in apartments so its difficult to keep it discrete sometime lol.

we got one of those giant rainbarrels and he made a little door on it and everything so you just throw everything in there and toss it in. plus, its so hot inside the barrel, and cuz you are constantly mixing everything up, it decomposes faster and more thouroughly.

to save water, my boyfriend wants to start putting like one of those big bins in the tub and catch the water while we are are showering. using all organic soaps and stuff, itll be perfect for the plants since we dont have a hose and we can't rely on rain here.lol.
Karma Jane
@karma-jane
15 years ago
39 posts
seriously though.. more than growing your food.. if you REALLY want to be serious about living a green life.. STOP EATING MEAT!!! Eating meat contributes to the factory farms that are the number one producer of greenhouse gases. it is completely unsustainable and filthy for you and your mama Earth. Karma Jane said:
grow your own food!!!!!!!
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
truth sister!Also we know that we can grow exponentially more food on the land it takes to raise a few cattle, however, when you ditch the redundant staple craps like corn,soy and wheat and grow fruit trees, you can grow well more than 10 times the amount of food per acre and its actually good for you. Karma Jane said:
seriously though.. more than growing your food.. if you REALLY want to be serious about living a green life.. STOP EATING MEAT!!! Eating meat contributes to the factory farms that are the number one producer of greenhouse gases. it is completely unsustainable and filthy for you and your mama Earth.

Karma Jane said:
grow your own food!!!!!!!
Adam Ligster
@adam-ligster
15 years ago
22 posts
I grow my own food, well at least what I can. we also grow cows and yes the huge corperation farms are a huge problem and are killing off most of the mom and pop farms which greatly benifit smaller communities. but I understand not everyone has the room to grow their own food. I am lucky for that and I love it. I also compost all junk mail with no plastic and what ever scrap food I can I feed to my dog or compost as well. I don't even have trash service only recycling. it makse me more aware of what I buy. I do have some trash every once in a while I find a random dumpster to throw it in making it hard for me to throw stuff away

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form