Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New dreads, need advice ):

Lauren Elizabeth Miller
@lauren-elizabeth-miller
12 years ago
4 posts

They are about a month old. I first decided to stop brushing my hair and using shampoo and switching to Dr. Bronners/ baking soda. Then I decided I wanted dreads. I twisted and riped them a little bit to get them off into their own spots instead of matting together in one giant mess. I didnt use rubber bands or section them off properly, I kind of just grabbed pieces and did it where it felt ok because I want to do this as naturally as possible...but...naturally i'm impatient ;) I'm worried because you can see my scalp in some spots. Will they get bigger with time and fill that part in? I'm wondering that because I didnt twist them neatly, tightly and section it..will my baby dreads cause me problems in the future? They kind of split at the top a little bit. Do I need to start over? ):

updated by @lauren-elizabeth-miller: 01/13/15 09:28:03PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

TnR is just a method to get the sections separated. DO NOT keep tnring them as they loosen. This will pnly bring you back to day one. If you leave them alone, those spots will get filled in by loose hair and new growth. Not much to worry about. Just don't mess with them. All you have to do is wash and separate as needed. Don't separate all the way to your scalp, either. Just enough so that the main body of the lock is not congoed together with another next to it.

You don't want to TnR tightly to the scalp, so you're fine there. The little bit of loose hair at the root is necessary for them to lock up and tangle on their own. It also allow for new growth to catch onto something and start tangling.

If you haven't seen it yet, your locks will unravel and start to straighten. But this has to happen. TnR is not a way to get locks to mature. It just coaxes them to start. Just let them be and they will tangle up in time. 1 month is really nothing. So any damage or problems you see now, will go away in time if you let your hair do it's own thing from now on

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

how bout some pictures so we can see whats going on?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lauren Elizabeth Miller
@lauren-elizabeth-miller
12 years ago
4 posts

Baba fats was right about them unraveling, these are picks after swimming/at the beach all day today. They unraveled quite a bit! So I guess this means they will be able to start doing their thing soon? Good lesson on learning to be patient and healthy, huh. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they look like they are doing fine just in the back u might get a tendency to congo

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

They look great. But like Eagle said, watch the ones in the back so they don't congo

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

They look pretty good for 1 month. Looks like some of the ones in the back are starting to congo together so be very conscientious of this and separate them as the form.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form