Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

section sizes

kezz
@kezz
12 years ago
28 posts

Hi, Im nearly 2 weeks in after starting by backcombing. My section sizes are all different and range between 0.5" and 1". My question is...will the sections that are 1" x 1" make reall big dreads. I don't want super fat ones...I want small to average..if you know what I mean. They are not all square..some are 1" x 3/4" etc. I want dreads with character but not big fatties...

updated by @kezz: 02/14/15 10:48:03AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

1x1 is fairly fat..fattest id want em to get 1/2 is medium

1 x 1 is around silver dollar sized 1/2 bout nickle etc

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
kezz
@kezz
12 years ago
28 posts

They will be fatter than averrage then?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

somewhat, but not obnoxious. I have some sections that are 2x2 inches and one that's even a little bigger. But mine are on the really phat side.

1x1 is as big as most people want. if you have more than 1 that's that big, it won't look or feel weird. It only starts to feel odd if only 1 is much bigger than the rest.

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

i have thin hair and i have a few sections that are more of a triangle shape. probably 1 1/2 inches on the long side. the dread that has developed is about as big as my first finger. i would take into consideration the the thickness of your hair. if you had thick hair before dreading than it probably means you have more hair per square inch than say someone with thinner hair like me. this could make your dreads pretty big even at a small 1 x 1 sectioning.

kezz
@kezz
12 years ago
28 posts

What would be a good average size would you say?

and is it correct that under 0.5" is too small... unraveling some as we speak...good job I realised this before they actually started dreading..backcombing was loose too.

kezz
@kezz
12 years ago
28 posts

I am seeing whatyou mean about hair thickness Heather.The hair at the sides of my head above my ears is fine. The sections there are about the same as your triangular ones but the hair bundles are tiny

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

They are usually much thinner when you start out. If you did any tnr or back-combing, they tend to get bunched up more and seem thinner. As they mature and in a few year when they grow longer, the new growth will take on more of the thickness of the section you made.

That being said, Heather's got a point. My hair is thin due to genetics, and my locks are thinner than the sections I have, but they do thicken up closer to the section size as the grow out. Maybe not completely as big, but close to

kezz
@kezz
12 years ago
28 posts

If they are under half an inch is that too small ?I think I read somewhere that the roots would not be strong enough to support the dread?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

too small for what whered u read that i have 1 thats the sizer of the letter l on your screen..thats a congo of 3..and its 4 feet long and growing

a 1/2 inch dread should supoort 500 poundfs if u never weaken it with crochet or interlockinmg or anything

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form