Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

how to get rid of lice in dreads

Daniel Hall
@daniel-hall
14 years ago
3 posts
what do you do if you get lice / find eggs in your dreads?my friend has recently chopped her beautiful pink and purple dreadies off because of lice ... she heard the only other way is to soak them in vaseline for 24 hours, then in vinegar for 12 and then repeat it again after 7 days. which she didnt want to do....is organic cold pressed neem oil any good? as it's a natural insecticide. what would you recommend?
updated by @daniel-hall: 02/14/15 09:02:34AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
she shoulda done researchok alcahol 70% rubbing alcahol, pour on head (dont gotta totaly soak dreads its the fumes that do it) wrap in plastic wait 30 min (if heads all chewed up it steralizes the wounds but stings bad if the stings too bad after 15 min rince but try to do 30bugs will be raining off your head deaddo vinagar rince leave ion 15 minrepeat every 3 days for 9 days or untill all goneneem shampoo every 3 days etc with vinagar rince (just add neem to tour regular wash)mayonese mayonese vinagar combo smear head with it good leave on an hour repeat every 3 daysolive oil followed by vinager every 3 daysvasolie (eek not recomended) every 3 datsbasicly anthing that prevents them from breathing (they can hold breath 14 minutes)and must be repeatted every 3 dayseggs hatch in 5 days babies mature and can lay eggs in 5 daysbut keep in mind they dont all be born ion ssame day thats why6 3 3 dat intervals is best but may need more treatmentsalso wash everything u own bag up stuff u dont need for 2 weeks and spray down furniturefor me the alcahol worked amazing but missed a few (wasnt wrapping em tho just pouring on) so i added neem which had an added benefit of healing up my scalpunfortunately neems thick and built up so had to use bronners to remove buildup

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dee2
@dee2
12 years ago
25 posts

Thank you for this! I just found one lice this morning, had my husband checked and found another!!! :( Can you tell me if this is what I should do?

1. Pour 70% alcohol straight into head and dreads, wrap with plastic bag for 30 minutes.

2. Then dilute ACV (what's the ratio?) and pour, wrap with plastic bag for 15 minutes. Rinse with water.

3. Then wash with my regular shampoo (baking soda, grapeseed oil, tea tree, lemongrass, lavender, peppermint, rosemary) and add neem oil to it. Then rinse again with ACV. Then rinse with water.

Repeat every 3 days.

My question is: is that ONE day of washing, or are those different options? I'm freaking out and now I know why my head has been itching so much. I can't imagine how I even got them on the first place. I was thinking maybe a festival I went to. Ugh.

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts
I think he was showing the different options. the alcohol, neem seed oil, and vinegar soak and wash are the next according to people here, I've never had lice, but I asked this same question just in case. Please keep us posted on ur results, cuz I wanna have all the ingredients at home in case it happens to me, best of luck!
Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts
best* not next.
Dee2
@dee2
12 years ago
25 posts

Thank you! I can't go to the store right this second so I rubbed Tea Tree oil with a cotton ball all over and they were falling off. Not too many, maybe like 20 or so but I'm sure I have a lot more. I'm just walking around with a bag on my head, hoping to kill some more. I'll go to the store and get some alcohol and neem. Thank you for your response, I will follow up! :)

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts
One thing that i've never really understood is why it has to be 70% rubbing School, since I can only find 99% I wonder if u could just dilute it by 30% by adding some water. Maybe u can also let me know if they sell that alcohol in a 70% concentration. Good luck .
Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts
Goddamnit with the fucking autocorrect! I meant alcohol not school.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

she heard wrong

ok heres what i recomend

step 1

bun up the dreads step 2 pour on some 70% rubbing alcahol step 3 wrap the whole bunned up drads in saran wrap to seal in the fumes

wair 15 min minumum 30 min highly recomended

scream and curse as the alcahi=ol steralizes the woul=nds it stings

after 30 min remove the plastic wrap and rinse out the alcahol

its recomended to then pour on apple cider vinager full strength 10 min then wash

when u wash wash with your normal liquid shampoo but add the neem seed oil pretty strong

repeat this every 3 days minumum of 3 tratements in 9 days

if u follow this exactly u should gbe lice free in 9 days as long as u wash all yoir clothes and change bedding often

if u half ass it it moght take a couple extre treatments

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

anything over 70 is too strong 99 will burn like crazy dry the hel outta yiur scakp

Supa Dread said:

One thing that i've never really understood is why it has to be 70% rubbing School, since I can only find 99% I wonder if u could just dilute it by 30% by adding some water. Maybe u can also let me know if they sell that alcohol in a 70% concentration. Good luck .

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form