Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Question about washing method

MW2TopTenWORLD
@mw2toptenworld
7 years ago
46 posts

Okay, so there are no actually natural , dread specific or not shampoos in my area! I can't afford to buy one from dreadlockshampoo.com... so I'm using sodium bicarbonate and vinegar rinses, and yes I know it's not the best long-term but it's all I have...

Ok, so I wash whenever I need too, and that for me is weekly, sometimes 2 weeks

And it does it's job right, it makes the hair look clean again, makes the process go faster, etc etc 

But It doesn't get dandruff out much, if there's a light I can easily see a lot of it on the roots and it doesn't go much up... it generally stays down there, also on the borders of where the hair meets the diffrent points of the face, if that makes sense, there is some more dandruff (in liquid/sticky form) that was supposed to have went down with the baking soda... but well, didn't! and then I have to clean it with a towel but even so it's hard to get all out cuz it gets trapped in the roots of said places.

So.... what am I doing wrong?

I get in the shower, rinse water and scrub

then I have a cup with said baking soda in the bottom of it , and fill it with the warm water of the shower, it dilutes well in the water, I then spill said cup onto the top of my head, the sides and the back and do another scrub, then I rinse it all out, grab my dilluted vinegar bottle, again, top, sides, back, scrub, rinse

and that's it

Other then this "problem" (i wouldn't call it a problem) , evrything is going fine :]

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

well the baking soda is harsh..it eats away at the skin.. it exfoliates by burning off the top layer of skin..that is most likely what you have is fried skin..yes it removes it by turning it into a paste but your burning off your skin

teatree rosemary essential oils treat dandruff, but each bottle is as  much as the teatree rosemary dreadlockshamopoo

if you cant afford them cause of shipping the teatree bronners (diluted) ids next best option

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MW2TopTenWORLD
@mw2toptenworld
7 years ago
46 posts

☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

well the baking soda is harsh..it eats away at the skin.. it exfoliates by burning off the top layer of skin..that is most likely what you have is fried skin..yes it removes it by turning it into a paste but your burning off your skin

teatree rosemary essential oils treat dandruff, but each bottle is as  much as the teatree rosemary dreadlockshamopoo

if you cant afford them cause of shipping the teatree bronners (diluted) ids next best option

What about deep cleanses (every 6 months, or every year), any need / help.... I can't completely shame baking soda because it has helped me so far, but well, I'm trying to find a better option here, this is in england, I live in Portugal so shipping should be cheap, is it a good option despite the fact of the bad rep knotty boy has for selling out backcombing an d crocheting and what not... talking about the product here : https://www.knottyboy.com/shop/product/liquid_dread_shampoo/ ... looking at the ingredients I see nothing bad

Also, that fried skin u'r talking about, it grows bck yeah? xD It's not like damaged right? 

MW2TopTenWORLD
@mw2toptenworld
7 years ago
46 posts

Either way, other then that everything has been going very well and that's why I can't attribute all negativity to baking soda, but yeah 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

knotty boy shampoos ok but ethically because they promote wax they are on our boycott list (but do what u gotta do)

some people say it smells like piss though (it was in 1 of the reviews)

for some reason clicking the link links right back to this page...weird

--
MW2TopTenWORLD
@mw2toptenworld
7 years ago
46 posts

yeah weird :\ ... it is not tested on animals though is it? I'll ask the page..... and any other suggestions (in the UK or some european country) ?

And yeah I get what you mean with that though... 

MW2TopTenWORLD
@mw2toptenworld
7 years ago
46 posts

Ignore my before post, it's cruelty free and vegan with the exception of their beeswax.... I would really like to not support their site since they promote those shitty practices but, it's like getting a vegan burguer at burguer king (i never did but if it's all you have you're buying the vegan product telling them that's what you like) ... but still give suggestions if you have

MW2TopTenWORLD
@mw2toptenworld
7 years ago
46 posts

So I found out amazon.co.uk has dreadlock shampoos in there :) that's good! 

But one question, have you ever heard of washing with just ACV? no Baking soda

It would be dilluted since it's for dreads I'm guessing.... I guess I shouldn't worry about since I won't need a wash anytime soon but i'm curious, and ACV = easy to find, dread shampoo = has to be ordered.... 

but yh :) mostly wondering

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

take a bone, submerge it in acv for 24 hours, and it becomes rubberized

why rubberized? because it has been partially dissolved, broken down at the molecular level (this is also why i do not drink soda most sodas will completely dissolve a mouse or a severed finger that got into the batch between the time its bottled and reaches the shelf)

acv is an acid..not as strong as some but strong enough to over time dissolve bone

its used to balance the ph after using the alkaline baking soda   since hair should be slightly acidic..

but if you wash with just acv your going to make it way too acidic, too soft too conditioned and slightly dissolved

diluting an acid does not change the acidity, instead the nutral water takes on the acidity of the acv..its less concentrated ofcourse but still just as acidic

acidic hair tends to over produce ooils  and that is when its in the acidic side of hairs normal range, acv would make it outside the normal range on the acidic side

it is a good degreaser because of its acidity, so works good for cleaning greasy ovens  but not something i would want to wash hair with..

if you knew your hair was way too far on the alkaline side (outside the normal range) then maybe you could use a weak rinse just to restore pph..but a better option is to just use a shampoo with a ph in the healthy range

--
SpookeDread
@spookedread
7 years ago
27 posts

Hey i got the same "problem" :) 
residue at the roots and sticky layer at the scalp. From europe too. Read through forum posts here a bit and got me a Faith in Nature shampoo from UK. doing the work for me. 

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form